External Audit Manager (WMS Band 1) - DOH4366
Company: Washington State Department of Health
Posted on: January 4, 2019
Description NOTE: Effective January 1, 2019, there will be a salary increase of 2%. Salary listed does not include this increase.
External Audit Manager (WMS Band 1)
Office of Civil Right and Risk Management
Reporting to the Deputy Chief of Civil Rights and Risk Management, the External Audit Manager is the agency's audit expert and is responsible for providing reliable and professionally sound guidance, consultation, and advice to internal customers who are audited by external entities (including the State Auditor's Office (SAO), Joint Legislative Audit and Review Committee (JLARC), General Accounting Office (GAO), the Centers for Disease Control (CDC), and other entities.
They serve as the agency's primary point of contact with external entities for audit-related matters. With the SAO, these audits may include the Statewide Single Audit (SWSA), as well as performance, financial and accountability audits. As liaison with these entities, the External Audit Manager's role is to facilitate communication and data transfers between external audit staff and agency staff.
The External Audit Manager is also the SAO point of contact for Whistleblower complaints and investigations conducted under RCW 42.40, State Employee Whistleblower Protection. When receiving whistleblower complaints, the External Audit Manager reviews them to ensure they follow agency process and forwards them to SAO for review and possible investigation. When the SAO conducts the whistleblower investigation, the External Audit Manager coordinates with SAO, the complainant and others required to assist SAO in their investigation. For whistleblower complaints where SAO determines that DOH is best equipped to investigate, the External Audit Manager reviews the complaint, corresponds with the complainant, and assigns the complaint to a member of agency leadership to address.
They provide consultation and advice to agency programs to prepare corrective action plans to address audit findings and monitors the actions and due dates, maintaining a database with that information.
The External Audit Manager works with subject matter experts and agency leaders to review technical drafts and prepares the agency's response to audit reports before they are published.
Maintaining a successful liaison role includes providing professionally sound support and guidance in:
- Confirming that correct criteria are used for audits.
- Briefing DOH staff who will participate in the audit process (providing the purpose of the audit, what to expect, and who will be involved).
- Connecting auditors with the right staff for the right information at the right time.
- Ensuring that requests for information are responded to in an accurate and timely manner.
- Coordinating with agency subject matter experts to respond to technical and substantive audit drafts.
- Ensuring that data shared with others related to audits and whistleblower complaints are properly protected Learn more about the position and to view the complete position description .
About DOH and our Employer of Choice Initiatives
Washington State Department of Health (DOH) works with federal, state, tribal, and local partners to help people in Washington stay healthy and safe. Our programs and services help prevent illness and injury, promote healthy places to live and work, provide education to help people make good health decisions and ensure our state is prepared for emergencies. To learn more about the agency, visit our website , DOH Infographic , and see what it's like to !
DOH is a great place to work and has implemented several "Employer of Choice" initiatives, including:
- We are committed to diversity and inclusion . DOH fosters an inclusive environment that encourages all employees to bring their authentic selves to work each day. We strive to hire, develop, and retain a competent and diverse workforce that is reflective of the customers we serve.
- We have an engaging program which offers programs that support healthy behaviors and work/life balance. Our program provides wellness education, access to healthy food, physical activity classes, stress relief, and many other resources to support a healthy you.
- We support a healthy work/life balance by offering flexible/alternative work schedules, and mobile and telework options. (Depending upon job duties.)
- We are making exciting steps towards modernizing our workplace by providing motivating and inspiring workspaces that promote creative thought, innovation, and collaboration among co-workers.
- We have an Infant at Work Program that is based on the long-term health values of breastfeeding newborns and infant-parent bonding. Eligible employees who are new mothers, fathers, or legal guardians can bring their infant (6 weeks to 6 months) when returning to work. (Depending upon job duties and work location.) What we're looking for
Success in this position requires a team player, defined as having a driving passion for the work, bringing humility to their job and people interaction, and who listens and understands how their words and actions affect others.
Our ideal candidate creates meaningful partnerships and works collaboratively across organizational boundaries to meet shared objectives. We are looking for someone that is able to prioritize and manage many competing demands, and who recognizes the values that different perspectives and cultures bring to an organization.
Preference may be given to candidates with the following DESIRED education and experience:
- A Bachelor's degree or higher in accounting, public/business administration, or a closely allied field of study.
- Two (2) or more years of auditing (external or internal) experience. As well as demonstrated competencies in the following:
- Communication : Demonstrates the ability to communicate complex technical topics to diverse audiences. Strong written and oral skills. Effectively convey ideas and information in language that is appropriate to both the complexity of the topic and the knowledge and understanding of the audience.
- Accountability : Is highly reliable and dependable. Accepts personal responsibility for the quality and timeliness of work. Can be relied upon to achieve excellent results with little oversight.
- Adaptability /Flexibility: Adapt easily to changing business needs, conditions and work responsibilities. Adapt approach, goals and methods to achieve successful solutions and results in dynamic situations.
- Customer Service Orientation: Consistently demonstrates to customers an interest in them and in solving their problems. Helps internal customers navigate complex or sensitive issues, keeping their best interests in mind and advising on best practices.
- Teamwork : Able to build rapport with others and function as an effective team member. Demonstrates respect for others' perspective and needs. Takes the initiative to learn about other's functions and duties outside of core areas of responsibility in order to fill in for colleagues as needed.
- Values Difference: Sees the value of cultural, ethnic, gender, and other individual differences in people. Creates an environment of learning about, valuing, encouraging, and supporting differences. Seeks different points of view and leverages diverse perspectives in group processes and decision-making. Checks own views against the views of others. Compensation
This position reports to the Deputy Chief of the Office of Civil Rights and Risk Management. Learn more about the Washington Management Service .
The annual range of compensation is between $68,940 and $88,236 , depending upon qualifications.
Washington State offers a full benefits package including vacation and sick leave, family medical and dental coverage, life insurance, retirement, and a deferred compensation program.
The Washington State Department of Health (DOH) is an equal opportunity employer. DOH strives to create a working environment that is inclusive and respectful. It is our policy to prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, sex, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, veteran status, political affiliation, genetics, or disability in the recruitment, selection, and hiring of our workforce. Applicants wishing assistance or alternative formats in the process should contact Cher Williams at (see application details), (see application details), or TDD Relay at 1-(see application details) or 7-1-1.
Intrigued? We'd love to hear from you. Click "Apply" to submit your detailed application profile along with the following:
- A detailed Letter of Interest that addresses your qualifications as they relate to the position.
- A Resume
- Five (5) or more professional references , to be included in your profile.
DO NOT attach transcripts or other documents that are not requested in the Application Process, or that are password protected. These type of documents cause errors when downloading application materials and will not be forwarded to the hiring supervisor. Veterans ..... click apply for full job details
Keywords: Washington State Department of Health, Olympia , External Audit Manager (WMS Band 1) - DOH4366, Accounting, Auditing , Olympia, Washington
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!