Administrative Assistant 5 (DOH4370)
Company: Washington State Department of Health
Posted on: January 11, 2019
Description The Opportunity
The mission of the Department of Health's Environmental Public Health (EPH) Division is to improve the health of the people in Washington State by preventing and reducing exposures to health hazards in the environmental and supporting healthy places where people live and play.
This position is a high visibility, high volume role providing general administrative support, such as scheduling meetings/calls, handling travel arrangements, performing data entry, answering phones, providing logistical assistance with executive events, etc. The Administrative Assistant 5 will also be responsible for confidential and time sensitive material in an environment where professionalism, efficiency, and communication skills are of paramount importance.
This position is located in the Office of the Assistant Secretary (OAS) and contributes to the achievement of the mission in the following ways:
- Serves as the principal assistant to the Assistant Secretary, teaming with the AA 4 to support the Deputy and others in OAS.
- Has full delegated authority to act on the Assistant Secretary and Deputy Assistant Secretary's behalf in administrative issues, including delegated signature authority for administrative documents.
- Works directly with each office director's lead administrative assistant to ensure assigned work is properly completed and serves as quality control for prepared documents.
- Participates on and provides support to the EPH Leadership Team which provides direction to the Division.
- Leads and manages projects as assigned for the Office of the Assistant Secretary. This is a full-time permanent Administrative Assistant 5 (AA 5) position.
About DOH and our Employer of Choice Initiatives
Washington State Department of Health (DOH) works with federal, state, tribal, and local partners to help people in Washington stay healthy and safe. Our programs and services help prevent illness and injury, promote healthy places to live and work, provide education to help people make good health decisions and ensure our state is prepared for emergencies. To learn more about the agency, visit our website , DOH Infographic , and see what it's like to !
DOH is a great place to work and has implemented several "Employer of Choice" initiatives, including:
- We are committed to diversity and inclusion . DOH fosters an inclusive environment that encourages all employees to bring their authentic selves to work each day. We strive to hire, develop, and retain a competent and diverse workforce that is reflective of the customers we serve.
- We have an engaging program which offers programs that support healthy behaviors and work/life balance. Our program provides wellness education, access to healthy food, physical activity classes, stress relief, and many other resources to support a healthy you.
- We support a healthy work/life balance by offering flexible/alternative work schedules, and mobile and telework options. (Depending upon job duties.)
- We are making exciting steps towards modernizing our workplace by providing motivating and inspiring workspaces that promote creative thought, innovation, and collaboration among co-workers.
- We have an Infant at Work Program that is based on the long-term health values of breastfeeding newborns and infant-parent bonding. Eligible employees who are new mothers, fathers, or legal guardians can bring their infant (6 weeks to 6 months) when returning to work. (Depending upon job duties and work location.) What will you be doing? - Duties include:
- Maintain the outlook calendar and inbox for the Assistant Secretary.
- Prepare meeting materials in advance of meetings.
- Schedule complex appointments with executive staff, legislators, government executives, and stakeholders.
- Coordinate travel and conference attendance on Assistant Secretary's behalf including making complex travel arrangements.
- Assign work to division offices and establish timelines to complete division-wide projects.
- Serve as a project manager/lead on projects in the office.
- Lead, mentor, and train Administrative Assistant 4. What we're looking for
We are looking for an energetic and detail oriented assistant to support the work of the Division and provide day to day support for the Assistant Secretary. Ideal candidates will be able to multitask in an exciting fast paced environment, have strong attention to detail, effective at prioritization and proactive communications, as well as strong written and verbal communication.
- Four (4) or more years of experience involving increasing responsibility for planning, organizing, coordinating and completing administrative duties, at a professional-level, in an executive-level business office. (NOTE: Professional-level administrative duties are defined at the Administrative Assistant 3 job classification or above, or equivalent.).
- Intermediate-level experience using MS Word to create, format, edit, preview, print, and save documents. Use standard functions to select, edit, copy, paste, format, and spell check text.
- Intermediate-level experience using PowerPoint to create, format, edit, and run slide show presentations.
- Intermediate-level experience using MS Excel to create and manipulate large or complex spreadsheets, use complex mathematical formulas to calculate data, and link worksheets; import data from other sources, filter lists, and create and format charts and graphs.
- Demonstrated experience using MS Outlook to compose, send, and respond to e-mail and to coordinate schedules and schedule meetings.
- Demonstrated experience in the following:
- Planning, organizing, and leading teams.
- Assigning, reviewing, and coordinating work.
- Developing procedures or making recommendations for process improvements. Preferred/Desired Qualifications
- A Bachelor's degree in public health, health care administration, public or business administration, or closely allied field.
- One (1) or more years of supervisory experience. Conditions of Employment/Working Conditions
With or without an accommodation, I am willing and able to:
- Work in a fast-paced stressful environment with multiple assignments and priority deadlines.
- Work at a tobacco-free campus and environment.
- Move objects and materials weighing up to 25 pounds.
- Standard office hours for this position are primarily 8 am - 5 pm, Monday - Friday.
- May be expected to adjust work schedule to meet business needs.
- Assist with emergency response activities as assigned during a public health emergency.
- Occasionally travel statewide alone or with others which may include overnight stays.
- Legally operate a state or privately owned vehicle or provide alternative transportation.
- Interact with division and agency staff to accomplish work and with the public when answering phone calls.
- Maintain confidentiality regarding information accessed or discussed while performing the duties of the position. The Washington State Department of Health (DOH) is an equal opportunity employer. DOH strives to create a working environment that is inclusive and respectful. It is our policy to prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, sex, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, veteran status, political affiliation, genetics, or disability in the recruitment, selection, and hiring of our workforce. Applicants wishing assistance or alternative formats in the process should contact Cher Williams at (see application details), (see application details), or TDD Relay at 1-(see application details) or 7-1-1.
Intrigued? We'd love to hear from you. Click "Apply" to submit your detailed application profile along with the following:
- A letter of interest , describing how you meet the specific required and desired qualifications for this position
- A current resume .
- Three (3) or more professional references , to be included in your profile. Please include at least one supervisor, peer, and (if you have supervised staff) a subordinate.
DO NOT attach transcripts or other documents that are not requested in the Application Process, or that are password protected. These type of documents cause errors when downloading application materials and will not be forwarded to the hiring supervisor. Veterans , please feel free to attach a copy of your DD214.
SUBSCRIBE to DOH Job Alerts
Supplemental Information Only applicants who follow the directions and complete the Application Process in-full will have their responses reviewed for consideration.
Education and experience selected, listed and/or detailed in the Supplemental Questions must be verifiable on the detailed applicant profile submitted.
This recruitment may be used to fill other positions of the same job classification within the office.
More than Just a Paycheck!
Employee benefits are not just about the kind of services you get, they are also about how much you may have to pay out of pocket..... click apply for full job details
Keywords: Washington State Department of Health, Olympia , Administrative Assistant 5 (DOH4370), Administration, Clerical , Olympia, Washington
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!