Office Engineering Support - TE2
Company: State of Washington
Posted on: August 6, 2022
Washington State Department of Transportation (WSDOT) is the
steward of an integrated, multimodal transportation system that
helps to ensure people and goods move safely and efficiently
throughout the state. In addition to building, maintaining, and
operating the state highway system, WSDOT operates the largest
ferry system in the nation, manages the world's longest floating
bridge, and recently completed the world's widest tunneling
WSDOT is currently seeking a skillful individual who understands
standard engineering procedures and techniques to accomplish a wide
variety of work in the office, and/or field. In this role, you will
serve as the construction inspector & lead designer.
Responsibilities as the construction inspector includes performing
construction materials review/management, project inspection, and
materials testing working directly with contractors,
permitting/funding agencies, members of the public and other
project stakeholders. Designer tasks include developing and
preparing project summaries, contract plans, specifications,
special provisions, estimates, plans for approval, hydraulic
summaries, and other engineering documents. In this role, you will
perform all phases of structures inspection including checking
foundation excavation, pile driving, shaft construction, position
of reinforcing bars, placement of concrete and backfill.
What to Expect
This position is required to perform Construction work outdoors at
construction site during both daytime and nighttime for
observation, information gathering, and occasional physical
activities. Exposure to hazards include traffic, noise,
construction, weather, uneven terrain, and/or heavy construction
Among the varied range of responsibilities held within this role,
the Inspector & Lead Designer will:
* Interpret highway construction plan and specifications and
* Perform construction layout as required.
* Monitor contractor activities for one or more major aspects of a
project such as excavation, embankment, traffic control, drainage,
hot mix asphalt and concrete paving, electrical work, signing,
* Measure and calculate quantities andprepare documentation to
support payment for activities inspected.
* Prepare and/or checks survey notes, field notes, daily inspection
reports, force account records, material verification and other
* Use civil engineering software to facilitate the design and cost
estimates of transportation projects.
* Work directly with other agencies, specialty groups, and
stakeholders on design issues.
* Gather field data, perform quantity calculations, work with
support groups and utilizes software and programs such as InRoads,
Microstation, and other programs such as PSE Word, and Ebase.
* Collect and direct the collection of survey information.
To be considered for this opportunity, at least one of the
following are required:
* Certification as an Engineer-In-Training and one (1) year of
experience as a Transportation Engineer 1, Transportation
Technician 3, Bridge Engineer 1, or equivalent experience such as
or equivalent experience such as material documentation
verification, material testing, and/or progress estimate
documentation preparation. -OR
* Two (2) years of experience as a Transportation Engineer 1,
Transportation Technician 3, or equivalent experience such as or
equivalent experience such as material documentation verification,
material testing, and/or progress estimate documentation
* A Master's degree with major study in civil engineering,
structural engineering, geotechnical engineering, soil mechanics,
traffic, transportation, or a closely related field.
In addition to one of the above, the following are also
* Demonstrated knowledge and understanding of transportation
engineering principles, practices, and methods in both the project
development and construction phases of projects.
* Demonstrated knowledge and understanding of developing Plans,
Specifications, and Estimate (PS&E) packages and the ability to
work in both the office environment and perform field
* Ability to perform work outdoors on uneven surfaces in inclement
weather, adjacent to traffic and heavy equipment during both
daylight and night hours.
* Ability to interpret data, identify problems and develop
solutions using sound engineering judgment and guidelines on
complicated transportation projects.
* Demonstrated experience with computer/software applications
including Microsoft Office Suite program for letters, report
writing, spreadsheets, web browsers and other technical software
* Ability to communicate in a professional and effective manner
orally and in writing with peers, support offices, contractors,
consultants, and the public by telephone, computer, or in
* Ability to manipulate and transport up to 40 pounds of various
* A valid driver's license.
It is preferred that qualified candidates also have:
* Certification as an Engineer-in-Training (EIT).
* Knowledge of WSDOT policies and practices applicable to design
and construction of transportation projects.
* Experience using Microstation and/or InRoads.
* This recruitment may also be used to fill additional positions
per business needs.
* This position offers flexible/hybrid remote work options.
* By issuance of proclamation, the Governor of Washington State
mandates that all employees who work for executive cabinet agencies
(which includes the Department of Transportation) must be fully
vaccinated against COVID-19. This is a condition of employment with
WSDOT. Exemption may be granted for religious or medical purposes;
however, accommodations will be subject to approval based on the
essential functions required of the position.
* WSDOT does not use the E-Verify system. For more information,
* Work-Life Balance - We are committed to ensure that our staff
experience the reward of public service, while also sustaining a
routine that suits each individuals' lifestyle. As such, there are
a number of flexible schedule options available, including
occasional telework for eligible positions.
* Paid Leave - In addition to 11 paid holidays, full-time employees
earn a minimum 14 paid vacation days per year!
* Tuition Assistance - Permanent employees have several options for
assistance with education expenses, including tuition reimbursement
programs, government discounts at participating colleges throughout
the state, and eligibility for federal student loan
* PlanFor Your Future - WSDOT offers a comprehensive benefits
package that includes a variety of healthcare options. Employees
also have their choice of state retirement programs, and much more.
Go toState Benefits for more information.
Check out this video to learn more:Why WSDOT?
How to Apply
Applications for this recruitment will be accepted electronically.
Your relevant experience may be evaluated to determine salary.
Therefore, it is very important that the "Work Experience" portion
of the application be completed in as much detail as possible.
In order to be considered for this opportunity, please include the
following with your online application:
* An attached Resume outlining (in reverse chronological order)
your experience to date.
* An attached Cover Letter that further explains your
qualifications and indicates why you believe you are a viable
candidate for this role.
* Contact details for a minimum three (3) individuals who can
attest to your work performance, technical skills, and job-related
competencies. NOTE: This information may be entered in the
"References" section of the online application; does not require an
Please click the "APPLY" button to proceed. Note that you will be
prompted to either sign in or create an account. This step is
required in order to submit an application to this opportunity.
WSDOT is an equal opportunity employer. We value the importance of
creating an environment in which all employees can feel respected,
included and empowered to bring unique ideas to the agency. Our
diversity and inclusion efforts include embracing different
cultures, backgrounds and viewpoints while fostering growth and
advancement in the workplace. Women, racial and ethnic minorities,
persons of disability, persons over 40 years of age, disabled and
Vietnam era veterans, as well as people of all sexual orientations
and gender identities are encouraged to apply. Persons with
disabilities needing assistance in the application process, or
those needing this job announcement in an alternative format
maycontact the listed Recruiter.
For inquiries aboutthis posting, you may contact the assigned
Recruiter, Robyn Lovely atLovelyR@wsdot.wa.gov.Please be sure to
reference22DOT-OR-30662 in the subject line.
Keywords: State of Washington, Olympia , Office Engineering Support - TE2, Engineering , Olympia, Washington
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!