Technical Lead (ITS 5) - DOH4269
Company: Washington State Department of Health
Posted on: November 10, 2018
Description NOTE: This recruitment will remain Open Until Filled . Applicant review begins November 5, 2018 .
The Technical Lead provides advanced technical level IT services by designing, developing, testing, implementing and maintaining multi-dimensional web-enabled information systems used to provide, manage, monitor and assess data required to make informed decisions at the enterprise, division and business unit level. This position supports the business's ability to be a community health partner using innovative methods to provide quality health information, assessment services for taking public health actions, and conducting assessment activities to improve the health of the people of Washington.
The Health Information Technology (HTS) team provides technology solutions and management in support of the agency's mission, strategic plan, and the agency's IT Portfolio. The Office of Applications and Data Services provides high-quality technology services by developing and implementing reliable IT systems, providing and supporting mechanisms for collecting, managing, and presenting data to ultimately maximize its usefulness for public health decisions and business functions.
This is a full-time permanent IT Specialist 5 (ITS 5) position.
About DOH and our Employer of Choice Initiatives
Washington State Department of Health (DOH) works with federal, state, tribal, and local partners to help people in Washington stay healthy and safe. Our programs and services help prevent illness and injury, promote healthy places to live and work, provide education to help people make good health decisions and ensure our state is prepared for emergencies. To learn more about the agency, visit our website , DOH Infographic , and see what it's like to !
DOH is a great place to work and has implemented several "Employer of Choice" initiatives, including:
- We are committed to diversity and inclusion . DOH fosters an inclusive environment that encourages all employees to bring their authentic selves to work each day. We strive to hire, develop, and retain a competent and diverse workforce that is reflective of the customers we serve.
- We have an engaging program which offers programs that support healthy behaviors and work/life balance. Our program provides wellness education, access to healthy food, physical activity classes, stress relief, and many other resources to support a healthy you.
- We support a healthy work/life balance by offering flexible/alternative work schedules, and mobile and telework options. (Depending upon job duties.)
- We are making exciting steps towards modernizing our workplace by providing motivating and inspiring workspaces that promote creative thought, innovation, and collaboration among co-workers.
- We have an Infant at Work Program that is based on the long-term health values of breastfeeding newborns and infant-parent bonding. Eligible employees who are new mothers, fathers, or legal guardians can bring their infant (6 weeks to 6 months) when returning to work. (Depending upon job duties and work location.) What will you be doing? - Duties include
- Deploying and managing Custom off the Shelf (COTS) systems products.
- Configure Internet Information Services, JBoss, WildFly and Tomcat to host Enterprise level applications for internal and external users and also ensure that the DOH security standards are met.
- Design small to enterprise level N-Tier agency and business unit web applications that interact with multiple data source types, web services or data warehouses.
- Participate in small to enterprise level development projects for DOH supported applications and systems by developing application design documentation in accordance with standards and practices.
- Plan and develop test plans, cases and scenarios for all products developed or supported by this position.
- Utilize DBMS software (SQL Server) to design, develop, & maintain relational databases & applications using simple to highly complex Transact-SQL queries and statements.
- Solve simple to highly complex IT problems, including defining & analyzing the problem, identifying & testing solutions, choosing & implementing the best solution, documenting the changes in the agency configuration management tracking system, and evaluating the outcome.
- Migrate agency developed and COTS applications to the cloud What we're looking for
The ideal candidate is a team player, defined as having a driving passion for the work, bringing humility to their job and people interactions, and understanding how their words and actions affect others.
- Option 1: An Associate's degree or higher in an Information Technology program or a closely related field; AND three (3) or more years of professional experience in one (1) or more of the following IT disciplines: consulting, analyzing, designing, programming, installing and/or maintaining computer software applications. OR
- Option 2: Five (5) or more years of professional experience in one (1) or more of the following IT disciplines: consulting, analyzing, designing, programming, installing and/or maintaining computer software applications. AND
- Three (3) or more years of professional experience in the software development field which includes experience in the following:
- Using MS-Visual Studio Development tools to maintain and develop agency or corporate level systems.
- Developing products in .NET Framework for use in web-enabled, multi-tiered systems.
- Developing Web and WCF services using current versions of the .Net Framework.
- Developing and testing MS-SQL Transact SQL statements.
- Managing/configuring Internet Information Services (IIS) or Tomcat or JBoss or WildFly at the enterprise level.
- Developing and maintaining standards, guidelines and best practices at an agency and enterprise level. Desired Qualifications
- A Bachelors' degree or higher in Computer Science, Management Information System, or closely allied field (Engineering/Mathematics).
- One (1) or more years of professional experience in the following:
- Developing Microsoft application security, authentication, auditing and exception handling protocols using the Microsoft Enterprise Libraries.
- Developing applications or services using current versions of BizTalk. Conditions of Employment/Working Conditions
With or without an accommodation, I am willing and able to do the following:
- Perform work almost exclusively indoors in an office environment.
- Standard business hours are Monday - Friday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., but the incumbent may be expected to adjust the work schedule to meet business needs and to meet deadlines for system implementations.
- Occasionally work outside of business hours to address emergency or urgent business needs. Maintenance windows vary from team to team but are scheduled in advance.
- May participate in stand-by coverage to support agency systems.
- Occasionally travel, typically local or regional, to meet with clients, conduct business, or attend or provide training.
- Interact and work with customers (some of whom may be frustrated or distressed) in a positive, friendly, and supportive manner that meets the needs and standards of the office and the agency.
- Work remotely to support inclement weather or emergency operations support functions. This is a position covered by a bargaining unit for which the Washington Federation of State Employees (WFSE) is the exclusive representative.
The Washington State Department of Health (DOH) is an equal opportunity employer. DOH strives to create a working environment that is inclusive and respectful. It is our policy to prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, sex, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, veteran status, political affiliation, genetics, or disability in the recruitment, selection, and hiring of our workforce. Applicants wishing assistance or alternative formats in the process should contact Cher Williams at (see application details), (see application details), or TDD Relay at 1-(see application details) or 7-1-1.?
Intrigued? We'd love to hear from you. Click "Apply" to submit your detailed application profile along with the following:
- A letter of interest , describing how you meet the specific required and desired qualifications for this position
- A current resume .
- Three (3) or more professional references , to be included in your profile. Please include at least one supervisor, peer..... click apply for full job details
Keywords: Washington State Department of Health, Olympia , Technical Lead (ITS 5) - DOH4269, IT / Software / Systems , Olympia, Washington
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!