Software Developer (ITS5) 2 Positions (DOH4222)
Company: Washington State Department of Health
Posted on: January 11, 2019
Description Applicant review is ongoing. It's to the applicant's advantage to apply early. This position is open until filled. The required qualification were reduced on October 22, 2018. Current applicants need not reapply.
The Department of Health works with others to protect and improve the health of all people in Washington State. We lead changes in policies, systems and environments to prevent illness and injury, promote healthy families and communities, and encourage healthy lifestyles. We do this by focusing on places where people live, learn, work, recreate, seek healthcare, and worship.
As a Software Developer, you will provide advanced technical level IT services by designing, developing, testing, implementing and maintaining multi-dimensional information systems used to make informed business decisions.
These positions support the business's ability to be a community health partner using innovative methods to provide quality health information, assessment services for taking public health actions, and conducting assessment activities to improve the health of the people of Washington.
These positions are within the Division of Health Technology Solutions (HTS), which provides technology solutions and management in support of the agency's mission, strategic plan, and the agency's IT Portfolio. The Office of Applications and Data Services (ADS) provides high-quality technology services by developing and implementing reliable IT systems, providing and supporting mechanisms for collecting, managing, and presenting data to ultimately maximize its usefulness for public health decisions and business functions.
This recruitment will fill two (2) full-time, permanent IT Specialist 5 position within the Applications and Data Services Office.
About DOH and our Employer of Choice Initiatives
Washington State Department of Health (DOH) works with federal, state, tribal, and local partners to help people in Washington stay healthy and safe. Our programs and services help prevent illness and injury, promote healthy places to live and work, provide education to help people make good health decisions and ensure our state is prepared for emergencies. To learn more about the agency, visit our website , DOH Infographic , and see what it's like to !
DOH is a great place to work and has implemented several "Employer of Choice" initiatives, including:
- We are committed to diversity and inclusion . DOH fosters an inclusive environment that encourages all employees to bring their authentic selves to work each day. We strive to hire, develop, and retain a competent and diverse workforce that is reflective of the customers we serve.
- We have an engaging program which offers programs that support healthy behaviors and work/life balance. Our program provides wellness education, access to healthy food, physical activity classes, stress relief, and many other resources to support a healthy you.
- We support a healthy work/life balance by offering flexible/alternative work schedules, and mobile and telework options. (Depending upon job duties.)
- We are making exciting steps towards modernizing our workplace by providing motivating and inspiring workspaces that promote creative thought, innovation, and collaboration among co-workers.
- We have an Infant at Work Program that is based on the long-term health values of breastfeeding newborns and infant-parent bonding. Eligible employees who are new mothers, fathers, or legal guardians can bring their infant (6 weeks to 6 months) when returning to work. (Depending upon job duties and work location.) What will you be doing? - Duties include :
- Developing, testing, and maintaining agency-wide and business unit applications.
- Configuring Internet Information Services in hosting environments to enable use of web-enabled applications by external or internal users and to ensure DOH security standards are met.
- Designing small to enterprise level N-Tier agency and business unit web applications that interact with multiple data source types, web services or data warehouses.
- Participating in development projects for DOH supported applications and systems including developing application design documentation, completing assigned development tasks, contributing to monthly project status reports and attending regularly scheduled project team meetings.
- Designing, implementing and supporting pre-production environments such as development, test and quality assurance for small to enterprise level systems.
- Designing, developing and maintaining databases and applications using simple to highly complex database queries and statements. What we're looking for
Success in this position requires one to be a team player, defined as having a driving passion for the work, bringing humility to their job and people interactions, and understanding how their words and actions affect others.
- Option 1 : An Associate's degree or higher in Information Technology program or a closely related field; AND three (3) years (full-time equivalent) of professional experience in one or more of the following IT disciplines: consulting, analyzing, designing, programming, installing and/or maintaining computer software applications. OR
- Option 2 : Five (5) years (full-time equivalent) of information technology experience such as consulting, analyzing, designing, programming, installing and/or maintaining computer software applications, directing projects; providing customer or technical support in information technology. AND
- Three (3) or more years professional experience in the software development field including experience performing the following:?
- Use of MS-Visual Studio Development tools to maintain agency and enterprise level systems, developing products in .NET Framework for use in web-enabled, multi-tiered systems.
- Developing Web and WCF services using current versions of the .Net Framework.
- Developing and testing MS-SQL Transact SQL statements.
- Developing and testing Microsoft SQL Reporting Services (Local and Remote)
- Managing/configuring Internet Information Services (IIS) at the enterprise level.
- Interpreting user requirements and software design documentation to be used for software development.
- Developing and maintaining standards, guidelines and best practices at an agency and enterprise level. Preferred/Desired Qualifications
- One (1) or more years in the following:
- Developing Microsoft application security, authentication, auditing and exception handling protocols.
- Designing, developing, testing, implementing and maintaining Microsoft Access databases and front-end applications.
- Developing application or services using current versions of Sybase PowerBuilder and Sybase SQL Anywhere.
- Managing or configuring CMS applications such as Drupal and DNN.
- Managing or configuring Apache Web Server at the business unit level.
- A Bachelors' degree or higher in Computer Science, Management Information System, or closely allied field (Engineering/Mathematics). Conditions of Employment/Working Conditions With or without accommodation, I am willing and able to:
- Work indoors, at a desk/workstation the majority of a workday, in an open office environment with possible conversation and other noise distractions.
- Work in a tobacco, drug, and alcohol-free environment.
- Occasionally work in excess of 40 hours per week and/or to adjust normally scheduled hours, which may include evening and weekends.
- Occasionally travel throughout the state (including rural areas) which may include overnight stays.
- Legally operate a state or privately owned vehicle or provide alternative transportation.
- Interact and work with customers, some of whom may be frustrated or distressed in a positive, friendly and supportive manner that meets the needs and standards of the office and the agency. This is a position covered by a bargaining unit for which the Washington Federation of State Employees (WFSE) is the exclusive representative.
The Washington State Department of Health (DOH) is an equal opportunity employer. DOH strives to create a working environment that is inclusive and respectful. It is our policy to prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, sex, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, veteran status, political affiliation, genetics, or disability in the recruitment, selection, and hiring of our workforce. Applicants wishing assistance or alternative formats in the process should contact Cher Williams at (see application details), (see application details) or TDD Relay at 1-(see application details) or 7-1-1.
Intrigued? We'd love to hear from you. Click "Apply" to submit your detailed application profile along with the following:
- A letter of interest , describing how you meet the specific required and desired qualifications for this position.
- A current resume.
- Three (3) or more professional references , to be included in your profile..... click apply for full job details
Keywords: Washington State Department of Health, Olympia , Software Developer (ITS5) 2 Positions (DOH4222), IT / Software / Systems , Olympia, Washington
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!