Budget Analyst 4 - (BA4/FS)
Who we are:
The Washington State Health Care Authority (HCA) purchases
health care for more than 2 million Washington residents through
Apple Health (Medicaid), the Public Employees Benefits Board (PEBB)
Program, and, beginning in 2020, the School Employees Benefits
Board (SEBB) Program. Our agency is committed to whole person care,
integrating physical health and behavioral health services for
better results and healthier residents. As the largest health care
purchaser in the state, we lead the effort to transform health
care, helping ensure Washington residents have access to better
health and better care at a lower cost.
About the opportunity:
The Budget Operations Unit within the Financial Services
Division is responsible for the entire HCA Medicaid and
administrative budget and includes diverse funding sources. The
Budget Analyst 4 reports to the Budget Unit Manager and has overall
responsibility for the agency wide administrative budget ($926
million per biennium) and approximately 1,438 FTEs. The
incumbent performs expert-level budget and program planning
analysis for multiple HCA Division's administrative budget.
This position is responsible for developing and monitoring
administrative budgets, agency budget requests, allotment
processes, fiscal notes, and assuring that processes are completed
within Office of Financial Management (OFM) guidelines and meet all
budgetary requirements as directed by the Chief Financial Officer
(CFO). In addition, this position is charged with monitoring
expenditures against allotment to identify any fiscal issues for
HCA management, program managers and stakeholders, and assures the
fiscal information reported to OFM, legislature staff, and the
federal government is accurate. This position is responsible for
sound fiscal projections to ensure adequate administrative funding
for overall agency and divisions.
Some of the tasks this position will perform:
Prepare and Manage Biennial and Supplemental Operating
Budget for HCA.
- Develop and prepare Decision Packages for Maintenance Level and
Performance Level packages.
- Monitor administrative expenditures to allotments for monthly
- Provide expert level financial consultation and sound fiscal
projections for programs/divisions to ensure adequate
- Update activity inventory and provide activity-level recast to
- Load agency decision packages and activity-level recast into
the Agency Budget System (ABS).
- Develop allotments for assigned budget steps.
- Upload allotments to TALS system.
- Respond to questions on assigned divisions' budget and
- Provide analysis for the budget versions, compile comparison
Fiscal notes coordination and preparation.
- Create and coordinate agency fiscal notes.
Provide expert-level assistance and advice on the administrative
- Work with accounting section to provide advice and research on
account coding used for administrative expenditures.
- Interpret existing budget policies to Agency staff and other
administrative personnel within assigned
- Coordinate the design, development, implementation,
maintenance, and modification of budgetary procedures for Agency
What we have to offer you:
- Meaningful work with friendly co-workers who care about those
we serve Voices of HCA
- A clear agency mission that drives our work and is
person-centered HCA's Mission, Vision & Values
- A healthy work/life balance, including alternative/flexible
schedules and mobile work options.
- Infants in the workplace Infants at the Workplace
- A great total compensation and benefit package WA State
- A safe, pleasant workplace in a convenient location with
restaurants, and shopping nearby.
- Tuition reimbursement.
- And free parking!
Required Education, and Experience
Bachelors' degree from an accredited college or university
involving major study in business administration, public
administration, accounting or related field or five years of
professional experience in budgets, management, or program
A Master's degree from an accredited college or university
in business administration, public administration, accounting or
related field or three years of professional experience in
budgets, management, or program analysis.
Additional qualifying experience may substitute year for year
for the required education.
Demonstrated expertise using state budgeting and reporting
systems, Excel, and Word.
Knowledge of Office of Financial Management and the State
Legislative approach to the budget process.
Experience using the Washington State Agency Financial
Reporting System (AFRS).
Experience using the Washington State Agency Budget System
Experience composing decision packages and fiscal notes
for the annual Washington State Legislative session.
Preferred Education, Experience and Competencies
Analytical skills for financial research and modeling in
complex multi-system environment.
Ability to develop and review complex written materials
and provide detailed policy analysis.
How to Apply:
To apply for this position you will need to complete your
profile on careers.wa.gov, and attach the following items:
- A current state application profile using
- A letter of interest with specific language on why you are
interested in the position. No more than two pages in
- A current resume that is no more than two pages in
- A list of contact information for three professional
references, including at a minimum one current or previous
If you have questions about the process, or need reasonable
accommodation, please contact Sanyu Tushabe, before the posting
closes. The candidate pool certified for this recruitment may be
used to fill future similar vacancies for up to the next six
Washington State is an equal opportunity employer. Persons
with disabilities needing assistance in the application process, or
those needing this job announcement in an alternative format may
call the Human Resources Office at 360.725.1761 or email
*Prior to a new hire, a background check including
criminal record history will be conducted. Information from
the background check will not necessarily preclude employment but
will be considered in determining the applicant's suitability and
competence to perform in the position.