Transportation Engineer 2
Company: State of Washington
Posted on: June 4, 2021
Washington State Department of Transportation (WSDOT) is the
steward of an integrated, multimodal transportation system that
helps to ensure people and goods move safely and efficiently
throughout the state. In addition to building, maintaining, and
operating the state highway system, WSDOT operates the largest
ferry system in the nation, manages the world's longest floating
bridge, and recently completed the world's widest tunneling
WSDOT is currently looking for an enthusiastic individual who
has a passion for creative solutions, innovation, and can provide
success in collaborative efforts to fill a Transportation Engineer
2 position based in Design/Construction Project Offices in Spokane.
This position will independently apply standard engineering
procedures and techniques to accomplish a wide variety of work in
the office, laboratory, and/or field. The successful candidate may
also have the opportunity to lead and train technical support staff
and entry-level engineers. Be a part of a team whose mission is to
provide safe, reliable, and cost-effective transportation options
to communities and businesses.
What to Expect
Among the varied range of responsibilities held within this
role, you will:
- Serve as a lead project inspector administering small to
large-scale construction projects.
- Research and prepare documentation for change orders in
accordance with the Contract.
- Schedule and direct personnel to administer construction
inspection and surveying.
- Prepare and review complex engineering plans, reports,
estimates, and/or contracts including design documentation,
hydraulic reports, and environmental documentation.
- Provide material testing.
- Serve as a design team leader performing a variety of skilled
project development work on small to large-scale transportation
- Calculate and check quantities for contract bid items.
- Use Microstation, InRoads, and the Design Manual to perform
- Perform data collection and/or survey work in the field.
- Oversee the operation, adjustment, and maintenance of all types
of survey equipment.
To be considered for this opportunity, the following are
- The ability to read, interpret, understand, review and produce
contract plans, specifications, and estimates.
- Exceptional communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Demonstrated proficient use of computer, including experience
with engineering software and applications such as InRoads,
Microstation, and Microsoft Office products (Excel, Word,
- The ability to work varied work shifts including nights,
weekends and/or out of town.
- The ability to traverse uneven terrain in all weather
- The ability to transport, manipulate, and move into position
materials and equipment weighing up to 50 pounds.
- A Western Alliance for Quality Transportation Construction
(WAQTC) qualified tester in DTT Density or equivalent, or the
ability to achieve within 24 months of hire.
- Possession of a valid driver's license is required for this
In addition to the qualifications listed above, one of the
following is also required:
- Certification as an Engineer-In-Training with one (1) year of
experience as a Transportation Engineer 1, Transportation
Technician 3, Bridge Engineer 1, or equivalent.
- Two (2) years of experience as a Transportation Engineer 1,
Transportation Technician 3, or Bridge Engineer 1, or
- A Master's degree in Civil Engineering, Structural Engineering,
Geotechnical Engineering, Soil Mechanics, Traffic, or
- Work-Life Balance - We are committed to ensure that our staff
experience the reward of public service, while also sustaining a
routine that suits each individuals' lifestyle. As such, there are
a number of flexible schedule options available, including
occasional telework for eligible positions.
- Paid Leave - In addition to 10 paid holidays, full-time
employees earn a minimum 14 paid vacation days per year!
- Tuition Assistance - Permanent employees have several options
for assistance with education expenses, including tuition
reimbursement programs, government discounts at participating
colleges throughout the state, and eligibility for federal student
- Plan For Your Future - WSDOT offers a comprehensive
benefits package that includes a variety of healthcare options.
Employees also have their choice of state retirement programs, and
much more. Go to State Benefits for more
Check out this video to learn more: Why WSDOT?
How to Apply
Applications for this recruitment will be accepted
electronically. Your relevant experience may be evaluated to
determine salary. Therefore, it is very important that the "Work
Experience" portion of the application be completed in as much
detail as possible.
In order to be considered for this opportunity, please include
the following with your online application:
- An attached Resume outlining (in reverse chronological order)
your experience to date.
- An attached Cover Letter that further explains your
qualifications and indicates why you believe you are a viable
candidate for this role.
- Contact details for a minimum three (3) individuals who can
attest to your work performance, technical skills, and job-related
competencies. This information can be entered in the "References"
section of the online application; does not require an additional
Please click the "APPLY" button to proceed. Note that you
will be prompted to either sign in or create an account. This step
is required in order to submit an application to this
WSDOT is an equal opportunity employer. We value the importance
of creating an environment in which all employees can feel
respected, included and empowered to bring unique ideas to the
agency. Our diversity and inclusion efforts include embracing
different cultures, backgrounds and viewpoints while fostering
growth and advancement in the workplace. Women, racial and ethnic
minorities, persons of disability, persons over 40 years of age,
disabled and Vietnam era veterans, as well as people of all sexual
orientations and gender identities are encouraged to apply. Persons
with disabilities needing assistance in the application process, or
those needing this job announcement in an alternative format
may contact the listed Recruiter.
WSDOT does not use the E-Verify system. For more information,
please visit www.uscis.gov.
For inquiries about this posting, you may contact the
assigned Recruiter, Rachel Giese
at GieseR@wsdot.wa.gov. Please be sure to
reference 21DOT-ER-60119 in the subject line.
Keywords: State of Washington, Olympia , Transportation Engineer 2, Other , Olympia, Washington
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!