- Extended closing date to grow applicant pool.*
Washington State Department of Transportation (WSDOT) is the
steward of an integrated, multimodal transportation system that
helps to ensure people and goods move safely and efficiently
throughout the state. In addition to building, maintaining, and
operating the state highway system, WSDOT operates the largest
ferry system in the nation, manages the world's longest floating
bridge, and recently completed the world's widest tunneling
The WSDOT HQ Materials Lab Fabrication Inspection Office is
currently seeking a highly skilled Transportation Engineer 4 to
serve as the Assistant Materials and Fabrication Inspection
Supervisor. This position supports highway construction projects
statewide by providing expert and timely inspection of highway
materials being fabricated and shipped to project work sites. Under
the supervision of the Transportation Technical Engineer (TTE) this
position is responsible for leading and supervising Transportation
Engineer 2's and Transportation Engineer 3's, to include managing
inspection calls, updating inspection calendars, and delegating
inspection assignments. It is also responsible, at the
discretion of the TTE, for leading and training TE2's and TE3's in
other duty stations.
What to Expect
Among the varied range of responsibilities held within this
role, the Assistant Materials and Fabrication Inspection
- Serves as a statewide technical program specialist in the
inspection of various shop fabricated materials.
- Samples, tests, and inspects fabricated products and evaluates
the quality of materials and workmanship.
- Reviews results of nondestructive tests such as magnetic
particle, ultrasonic, and radiographic inspection to determine
- Inspects materials to identify nonconforming materials as early
in the fabrication process as possible.
- Monitors the manufacturing processes, witnesses, or performs
tests or measurements of the completed product, collects and
reviews all required documentation to assure compliance with
Contract Provisions, and approves the finished product for
- Identifies materials for acceptance in accordance with WSDOT
Construction Manual and identifies items containing steel for
foreign or domestic content.
- Advises project and supplier personnel of materials found to be
unacceptable and answers questions relative to materials
- Assists in performing and documenting verification inspection
audits on Design Build projects.
To be considered for this opportunity, the following are
- High School Diploma or equivalent.
- Minimum of two (2) years of fabrication inspection experience
at the Transportation Engineer 3 level or four (4) years'
experience in construction acceptance inspection.
- Possession of a valid Driver's License to be able to drive in
the state of Washington.
- Possession of a valid Passport, or the ability to obtain a
valid passport within three months.
- American Concrete Institute (ACI) Grade I-Field Testing
Technician Certification (Certification required within 9 months
from start date of this position)
- Precast/Prestressed Concrete Institute (PCI) Level I
Certification (Certification required within 9 months from start
date of this position)
- Certified Welding Inspector by either the American Welding
Society or the Canadian Welding Bureau.
It is preferred that qualified candidates also have:
- National Association of Corrosion Engineers (NACE) Level I
- American Society of Nondestructive Testing (ASNT) Level I
training in the areas of Ultrasonic, Magnetic Particle, and Dye
- International travel to other countries including Canada is
- Work-Life Balance - We offer flexible work schedules that allow
you time for your life outside of this excellent opportunity.
- Paid Leave - In addition to 10 paid holidays, full-time
employees earn a minimum 14 paid vacation days per year!
- Tuition Assistance - Permanent employees have several options
for assistance with education expenses, including tuition
reimbursement programs, government discounts at participating
colleges throughout the state, and eligibility for federal student
- Plan For Your Future - WSDOT offers a comprehensive
benefits package that includes a variety of healthcare options.
Employees also have their choice of state retirement programs, and
much more. Go to State Benefits for more
Check out this video to learn more: Why WSDOT?
How to Apply
Applications for this recruitment will be accepted
electronically. Your relevant experience may be evaluated to
determine salary. Therefore, it is very important that the "Work
Experience" portion of the application be completed in as much
detail as possible.
In order to be considered for this opportunity, please include
the following with your online application:
- An attached Resume outlining (in reverse chronological order)
your experience to date.
- An attached Cover Letter that further explains your
qualifications and indicates why you believe you are a viable
candidate for this role.
- Contact details for a minimum three (3) individuals who can
attest to your work performance, technical skills, and job-related
competencies. This information can be entered in the "References"
section of the online application; does not require an additional
Please click the "APPLY" button to proceed. Note that you will
be prompted to either sign in or create an account. This step is
required in order to submit an application to this opportunity.
WSDOT is an equal opportunity employer. We value the importance
of creating an environment in which all employees can feel
respected, included and empowered to bring unique ideas to the
agency. Our diversity and inclusion efforts include embracing
different cultures, backgrounds and viewpoints while fostering
growth and advancement in the workplace. Women, racial and ethnic
minorities, persons of disability, persons over 40 years of age,
disabled and Vietnam era veterans, as well as people of all sexual
orientations and gender identities are encouraged to apply. Persons
with disabilities needing assistance in the application process, or
those needing this job announcement in an alternative format
may contact the listed Recruiter.
WSDOT does not use the E-Verify system. For more information,
please visit www.uscis.gov
For inquiries about this posting, you may contact the
assigned Recruiter, Amanda Strebeck, at email@example.com .
Please be sure to reference Assistant Materials and Fabrication
Inspections Supervisor in the subject line.