Program Specialist 5 (ERB)
This job posting will remain open until filled. Screening
of application materials will begin immediately and will be
on-going. It is in the applicants' best interest to submit
their application materials as early as possible. The hiring
manager reserves the right to make a hiring decision at any time.
This job posting may be closed at any time without
This position provides expert advice and consultation to
executive management for efforts including new product design,
policy and procedure improvements, short- and long-term strategic
initiatives, and topics of high political sensitivity. The
selected candidate will perform annual renewal and procurement
activities and contract negotiations in coordination with executive
management. This position will manage new project
implementation activities and prepare agency-wide systems
enhancements. It is the subject matter expert for its
contracts and must be immediately available for executive staff
regarding matters of intense public scrutiny or political
You would have the opportunity to:
- Collaborate with executive leadership and contracted actuaries
to draft high quality requests for proposals, contracts, contract
amendments, and work orders.
- Work in collaboration with contracts staff to meet all legal
requirements related to state contracting. Negotiate
agreements for high-cost goods and services.
- Represent HCA on litigation involving the applicable contracts.
- Participate in bidder selection and negotiation of new contract
- Review contracts for consistency and uniformity with similar
contracts in other areas.
Bachelor's degree in a health care discipline, public health,
public administration, business administration, or other health
care field directly related to the work of health care benefits or
health insurance administration;
Two years' experience in employer or health plan administration,
health management programs, or negotiating, administering or
managing health plan contracts.
Minimum of 6 years' experience in employer or health plan
administration, health management programs, or negotiating,
administering or managing health plan contracts.
- Master's degree in health education, health promotion,
healthcare administration, public administration, business
administration, or closely allied field and three years of
management or consultative experience in a health services
- Experience in the state procurement process.
- Project management skills, ability to develop and implement
population-based intervention plans across multiple audiences, and
using all forms of media.
- Clinical experience, education, or training and/or experience
with evidence-based medical management concepts and
- Skilled in the planning and execution of strategies for
purchasing and administering employer sponsored health
The Washington State Health Care Authority (HCA) purchases
health care for more than 2 million Washington residents through
Apple Health (Medicaid), the Public Employees Benefits Board (PEBB)
Program, and, beginning in 2020, the School Employees Benefits
Board (SEBB) Program. Our agency is committed to whole person care,
integrating physical health and behavioral health services for
better results and healthier residents. As the largest health care
purchaser in the state, we lead the effort to transform health
care, helping ensure Washington residents have access to better
health and better care at a lower cost.
What we have to offer:
- Meaningful work with friendly co-workers who care about those
we serve Voices of HCA
- A clear agency mission that drives our work and is
person-centered HCA's Mission, Vision & Values
- A healthy work/life balance, including alternative/flexible
schedules and mobile work options.
- Infants in the workplace Infants at the Workplace
- A great total compensation and benefit package WA State
- A safe, pleasant workplace in a convenient location with
restaurants, and shopping nearby.
- Tuition reimbursement.
- And free parking!
About Olympia and Washington State
Washington State offers a total work/life package of pay,
benefits, flexibility, and workplace opportunities to help you get
the most out of your career and out of life. Washington State is a
great place to work, play, and be a part of a community, offering
quality of life that is unsurpassed. From the high energy urban
center of Seattle, one of the nation's top ranked cities, to the
more relaxed pace of our rural communities, Washington's
distinctive Northwest lifestyle blends a progressive, creative
culture with a casual nature.
How to Apply:
Only candidates who reflect the minimum qualifications on their
State application will be considered. Failure to follow the
application instructions below may lead to disqualification.
To apply for this position you will need to complete your
profile and attach:
- A letter of interest with specific language on why you are
interested this position
- A current resume that is no more than two pages in
- A list of contact information for three professional
If you have questions about the process, or need reasonable
accommodation, please contact the recruiter before the posting
Washington State is an equal opportunity employer. Persons with
disabilities needing assistance in the application process, or
those needing this job announcement in an alternative format may
call the Human Resources Office at 360.725.1180 or email
- Prior to a new hire, a background check including criminal
record history will be conducted. Information from the background
check will not necessarily preclude employment but will be
considered in determining the applicant's suitability and
competence to perform in the position. *