Washington State Department of Transportation (WSDOT) is the
steward of an integrated, multimodal transportation system that
helps to ensure people and goods move safely and efficiently
throughout the state. In addition to building, maintaining, and
operating the state highway system, WSDOT operates the largest
ferry system in the nation, manages the world's longest floating
bridge, and recently completed the world's widest tunneling
WSDOT is currently seeking a Maintenance Specialist 4 to direct
and supervise the WSDOT Sign Shop in the fabrication and shipping
of traffic control signs. Based in Union Gap, the Sign Shop is the
sole sign fabrication and distribution organization for the entire
Washington State Department of Transportation and is a fast paced,
high volume manufacturing facility that provides high quality
signage to WSDOT Engineering, Regional Maintenance Operations,
Aviation and WSDOT Ferries operations. These signs provide
uniformity, guidance, and safety for all elements of the traveling
public including vehicular traffic, pedestrian traffic, and bicycle
traffic. This position will provide leadership and supervision to
the Sign Shop staff, while encouraging and promoting safety.
What to Expect
Among the varied range of responsibilities held within this
role, you will:
- Direct shop personnel in the operations and the fabrication of
signs, distribution of signs and preventative maintenance of all
- Participate firsthand in sign fabrication and ordering
processes as necessary to assure delivery.
- Plan, schedule, and budget for anticipated work, staffing and
equipment to meet variable workload for sign shop customers.
- Receive and process sign orders from all sign shop customers
including state and other local agencies.
- Monitor and evaluate employee performance and attendance
including meeting employee needs and concerns.
- Provide needed training, coaching, and mentoring of sign shop
- Conduct regular employee safety meetings.
- Act as a liaison to other Regions, State, and Local
- Work with Traffic Offices, Maintenance Sign Technicians, WSDOT
Staff, and other agency managers for scheduling sign design and
manufacture in compliance with State and Federal Regulations.
- Act as primary resource for solving or answering questions with
the sign order system.
- Provide training to WSDOT Engineering and Maintenance staff in
the use of the electronic sign ordering software and provides input
for software updates.
- Enter updates for the sign order system when mandated by
Federal Highway Administration and policy changes from the
Washington Department of Transportation.
- Plan design and layout of nonstandard signs to established
State and Federal standards.
- Be available to physically assist others with the design,
fabrication, and distribution of signs.
To be considered for this opportunity, the following are
- At least one year experience working in the Central Washington
Sign Shop or equivalent experience in the fabrication and/or
- High School Graduate or GED equivalent.
- Valid Washington State Driver's License.
- Knowledge of sign fabrication including processes and materials
used or equivalent knowledge that pertains to sign production.
- Knowledge and experience in owning and/or operating, and/or
managing a business.
- Experience working with a diverse workforce.
- Ability to accurately track and record material usage for
- Communicate professionally and work with a diverse work
It is preferred that qualified candidates also have:
- Three (3) years of experience in the fabrication and/or
- Three (3) years of experience as a Supervisor or Lead.
- Bachelor's degree in business management or equivalent.
- Work-Life Balance - We are committed to ensure that our staff
experience the reward of public service, while also sustaining a
routine that suits each individuals' lifestyle.
- Paid Leave - In addition to 10 paid holidays, full-time
employees earn a minimum 14 paid vacation days per year!
- Tuition Assistance - Permanent employees have several options
for assistance with education expenses, including tuition
reimbursement programs, government discounts at participating
colleges throughout the state, and eligibility for federal student
- Plan For Your Future - WSDOT offers a comprehensive
benefits package that includes a variety of healthcare options.
Employees also have their choice of state retirement programs, and
much more. Go to State Benefits for more
Check out this video to learn more: Why WSDOT?
How to Apply
Applications for this recruitment will be accepted
electronically. Your relevant experience may be evaluated to
determine salary. Therefore, it is very important that the "Work
Experience" portion of the application be completed in as much
detail as possible.
In order to be considered for this opportunity, please include
the following with your online application:
- An attached Resume outlining (in reverse chronological order)
your experience to date.
- An attached Cover Letter that further explains your
qualifications, and indicates why you believe you are a viable
candidate for this role.
- Contact details for a minimum three (3) individuals who can
attest to your work performance, technical skills, and job-related
competencies. This information can be entered in the "References"
section of the online application; does not require an additional
Please click the "APPLY" button to proceed. Note that you
will be prompted to either sign in, or create an account. This step
is required in order to submit an application to this
WSDOT is an equal opportunity employer. We value the importance
of creating an environment in which all employees can feel
respected, included and empowered to bring unique ideas to the
agency. Our diversity and inclusion efforts include embracing
different cultures, backgrounds and viewpoints while fostering
growth and advancement in the workplace. Women, racial and ethnic
minorities, persons of disability, persons over 40 years of age,
disabled and Vietnam era veterans, as well as people of all sexual
orientations and gender identities are encouraged to apply. Persons
with disabilities needing assistance in the application process, or
those needing this job announcement in an alternative format
may contact the listed Recruiter.
WSDOT does not use the E-Verify system. For more information,
please visit www.uscis.gov.
For inquiries about this posting, you may contact the
assigned Recruiter, Rachel Giese at GieseR@wsdot.wa.gov.
Please be sure to reference 21DOT-SCR-50426 in the