Senior Traffic Analyst Specialist - Transportation Engineer 3
Company: State of Washington
Posted on: June 7, 2021
Washington State Department of Transportation (WSDOT) is the
steward of an integrated, multimodal transportation system that
helps to ensure people and goods move safely and efficiently
throughout the state. In addition to building, maintaining, and
operating the state highway system, WSDOT operates the largest
ferry system in the nation, manages the world's longest floating
bridge, and recently completed the world's widest tunneling
WSDOT is currently seeking an engineering individual with a
proven background in traffic design and leadership. In this role,
you will serve as the Senior Traffic Analyst Specialist that leads
and supervises a traffic analysis and design team in performing
traffic analysis, reviewing traffic analysis, reviewing development
projects that impact the state system and traffic studies prepared
by consultants. In this role, you will also be required to assist
with design activities including designing signing, illumination,
work zone traffic control, traffic signals, channelization, and
intelligent transportation systems.
What to Expect
Among the varied range of responsibilities held within this
role, the Senior Traffic Analyst Specialist will:
- Prepare traffic analysis using traffic analysis and operation
programs to validate design assumptions for Region Projects.
- Review traffic analysis prepared outside of Olympic Region for
consistency with WSDOT Traffic Analysis Policies and
- Lead, supervisor, coach, and mentor a Traffic Analysis and
Development Review Team.
- Serve as Development Review Coordinator and Super Loads Permit
Coordinator for Traffic Design Office.
- Perform general office support, records retention tracking,
maintaining computer records and paper files.
To be considered for this opportunity, the following are
- One (1) year of experience as a Transportation Engineer 2 or
equivalent work experience, such as 2 years of experience working
for a consultant or public agency preparing Traffic Analysis or
Pre-design Studies. (Experience as a Bridge Engineer 2 or
Transportation Planning Specialist 2 will also be considered as
- Certification as a Traffic Control Supervisor within one (1)
year of appointment.
- Experience and the ability to effectively work both
individually and within a diverse team environment.
- Experience in communicating effectively in a diverse and
inclusive environment, and to multiple audiences, both orally and
- Proven skills to examine, develop, and propose alternate
solutions to complex elements of a project.
- Experience adhering to safety policies and diligence in
performing work in a safe manner.
- Experience prioritizing workload and managing multiple
- Experience utilizing traffic modeling software to generate
- Skills related to computer applications involving computer
aided drafting, roadway modeling, databases, word processing, and
- Skills to examine, develop, propose, and implement alternative
solutions to complex engineering issues.
- Knowledge of environmental regulations, laws and
- Proven skills to plan, schedule and track the activities and
deliverables of staff.
- Proven interpersonal skills to effectively supervise, mentor
and train staff members.
- A valid driver's license with the ability to travel from office
to field or job sites.
It is preferred that qualified candidates also have:
- Traffic Control Supervisor Certification.
- Bachelor's degree in Engineering or equivalent field.
- Fundamentals of Engineering Certificate (EIT).
- Professional Engineer License (PE).
- Experience supervising a team of engineers or
- The recruiting efforts for this position may be extended beyond
the displayed closing date for as long and until a sufficient
candidate pool has been established. However, the first review of
applications will be conducted May 12, 2021. The Appointing
Authority reserves the right to make a hiring decision at any time
thereafter. It is to your benefit to submit your application as
soon as possible.
- The Olympic Region Headquarters is moving to a new location;
therefore, the duty station for this position may be in Lacey, WA
shortly after hire.
- Work-Life Balance - We are committed to ensure that our staff
experience the reward of public service, while also sustaining a
routine that suits each individuals' lifestyle. As such, there are
a number of flexible schedule options available, including
occasional telework for eligible positions.
- Paid Leave - In addition to 10 paid holidays, full-time
employees earn a minimum 14 paid vacation days per year!
- Tuition Assistance - Permanent employees have several options
for assistance with education expenses, including tuition
reimbursement programs, government discounts at participating
colleges throughout the state, and eligibility for federal student
- Plan For Your Future - WSDOT offers a comprehensive
benefits package that includes a variety of healthcare options.
Employees also have their choice of state retirement programs, and
much more. Go to State Benefits for more information.
Check out this video to learn more: Why WSDOT?
How to Apply
Applications for this recruitment will be accepted
electronically. Your relevant experience may be evaluated to
determine salary. Therefore, it is very important that the "Work
Experience" portion of the application be completed in as much
detail as possible.
In order to be considered for this opportunity, please include
the following with your online application:
- An attached Resume outlining (in reverse chronological order)
your experience to date.
- An attached Cover Letter that further explains your
qualifications and indicates why you believe you are a viable
candidate for this role.
- Contact details for a minimum three (3) individuals who can
attest to your work performance, technical skills, and job-related
competencies. This information can be entered in the "References"
section of the online application; does not require an additional
Please click the "APPLY" button to proceed. Note that you will
be prompted to either sign in or create an account. This step is
required in order to submit an application to this opportunity.
WSDOT is an equal opportunity employer. We value the importance
of creating an environment in which all employees can feel
respected, included and empowered to bring unique ideas to the
agency. Our diversity and inclusion efforts include embracing
different cultures, backgrounds and viewpoints while fostering
growth and advancement in the workplace. Women, racial and ethnic
minorities, persons of disability, persons over 40 years of age,
disabled and Vietnam era veterans, as well as people of all sexual
orientations and gender identities are encouraged to apply. Persons
with disabilities needing assistance in the application process, or
those needing this job announcement in an alternative format
may contact the listed Recruiter.
WSDOT does not use the E-Verify system. For more information,
please visit www.uscis.gov
For inquiries about this posting, you may contact the
assigned Recruiter, Robyn Lovely
at LovelyR@wsdot.wa.gov. Please be sure to
reference 21DOT-OR-30761 in the subject line.
Keywords: State of Washington, Olympia , Senior Traffic Analyst Specialist - Transportation Engineer 3, Other , Olympia, Washington
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!