L&I IT Application Developer, Journey
Company: State of Washington
Posted on: June 7, 2021
Our Mission: Keep Washington Safe and Working! Our Values:
Customer Focus, One L&I, Respect, Diversity, Equity and
Inclusion, Learning and Growth, Reliability.
Washington is America's Top State according to U.S. News (2019)
and we provide one of the most competitive benefits packages in the
nation. Here at the Department of Labor & Industries
(L&I), we believe that your voice matters. We value our
employees and offer flexible schedules that respect your work/life
balance. In addition, L&I is a diverse state agency
dedicated to the safety and health and security of Washington's 3
million workers. Learn more about L&I, the employer of choice
Please Note: This recruitment will remain open until
filled. Application review will begin immediately, and the
position may be filled at any time.
Washington is America's Top State according to U.S.
News (2021) and we provide one of the most competitive benefits
packages in the nation. Here at the Department of Labor &
Industries (L&I), we believe that your voice matters. We
value our employees and offer flexible schedules that respect your
work/life balance. In addition, L&I is a diverse state
agency dedicated to the safety and health and security of
Washington's 3 million workers. Learn more about L&I, the
employer of choice here.
Within L&I, our Information Technology Division is
responsible for providing information technology based products and
services in support of our agency's business priorities. In this
role, you will be working for our Application and Data Management
group consisting of six development teams. We are responsible for
developing and enhancing more than 300 agency software applications
and management of agency databases. We also manage the agency's
databases and deliver advanced web capabilities to citizens and
businesses within Washington State. Our Enterprise Systems
and Services Development Team provides ongoing support of
enterprise and domain applications, services and data.
As an Application Developer at the journey level, you will
be an expert in this field, and have the opportunity to provide IT
application development and support of the Enterprise Shared
Services suite of systems and technical support of those
applications. You will also be relied upon to design,
develop, test and implement stable and reliable agile driven
technologies. We need your expert skills in optimizing and
maintaining our legacy systems, while creating efficient and
As a technical systems analyst, you'll support
requirements gathering and identify new features and develop
technical materials to support other developers. If this
sounds like the challenge you've been looking for, then we
encourage to join our team by applying now!
- Modify N-Tier legacy applications and sustain the systems using
visual studio, team foundation, and other development tools.
- Solve system issues and malfunctions; improve data, application
servers, and user interface standardization.
- As an expert developer, you will design, develop and test
extensible code using expert level programming strategies.
- Define re-usable development practices, test components and
data structures for extendable software delivery.
- Provide creative designs that allow the addition of new
capabilities and functionality for the products delivered.
- Define and orchestrate technical changes required for software
as a service upgrade; ensuring successful service upgrades,
conversions, or integration strategies.
- Provide Tier 3 level technical expertise for developers and
Tier 2 teams in support of all administrative configurations for
- Establish operation level agreements for products and
- As an expert technical developer, lead the product team in
proper data management tasks.
- Provide advanced level technical knowledge in the design,
development and implementation of metadata definition, architecture
and produce quality data structure requirements, documentation and
- Have expert knowledge, learn and sustain expert knowledge on
tools and technologies utilized in this position:
SQL (2012 or greater), Transact SQL
- 3rd party enterprise services such as OpenText, SSRS and
- Microsoft Office technologies (2016 or greater)
- Microsoft Development tools (Visual Studio 2015+, Team
Foundation Server 2015+, SQL Server Management Studio
- Service Oriented Architecture
- Data Server and Management technologies 2012+
- Reporting and Outbound Correspondence Services
- Microsoft Operating Systems (Windows 2007+)
- SharePoint 2010+
- Active Directory
- GIS and API technologies
- And many more
- 8 years of qualifying IT experience.*
- Associate's Degree in Information Technology.
- 6 years of qualifying IT experience.*
- Bachelor's Degree in Information Technology.
- 4 years of qualifying IT experience.*
Please Note: A Master's Degree in Information Technology
will substitute for one year of the required IT experience.
- Qualifying IT Experience Includes:
- Application data development and application system development
- Performing, analyzing, designing, developing, implementing,
testing and maintaining the programming of computer software via
applications, services and databases.
ADDITIONAL REQUIRED EXPERIENCE:
- 4 years of experience with the following:
- Object Oriented Programming language: .Net, Java, C++, SQL or
other OO languages.
- Data driven technologies and languages, specifically SQL, SSIS,
SSMS, SSRS or equivalent.
- Working with data development tools, platforms, products and
API's: IDE - Visual Studio 2015 or comparable; Source Control - TFS
2015 or greater/comparable; Data Management Tools - SQL, SSMS
2017 or greater/comparable.
- 7 years of experience with the following:
- Programming languages for SQL, SSIS, SSMS, SSRS, MVC, ASP
- Agile/Scrum, N-Tier, Accessibility and Usability.
Web Services, SOAP Services, REST services, WCF, MVC.
- 3 years of experience with GIS, SSRS, Open Text Xpression
suites of products.
The top candidates will be contacted directly to interview for
this position. Because the selection will be based on information
provided by you, it is in your best interest to identify the
knowledge, skills and abilities that address the mandatory and
desirable qualifications described in the announcement.
Please include the following documents with your
A letter of interest describing specific qualifications.
A current resume detailing applicable experience and
- A list of at least three professional references with current
- Prior to appointment, a background check that includes a
criminal record history review, will be conducted.
- Positions requiring travel must have a valid unrestricted
driver's license and must be insured if driving a privately owned
vehicle on state business.
- This position is represented by the Washington Federation
of State Employees (WFSE).
- Candidates who are offered a job with L&I must possess work
authorization which does not require sponsorship by the employer
for a visa now or in the future.
- Please note: This announcement may be used to fill multiple
- Positions requiring skills assessments are administered using
CodeSignal. Applicants who are selected to move forward in this
hiring process will receive an email invitation within 3 weeks of
your application being accepted. An applicant may complete
the assessment when you are ready, but the invitation to complete
their assessment will expire 5 days when this invitation was
sent. Once you start the assessment, you will be required to
complete it, you cannot start your assessment and then come back to
it at a later time. Please look in your email inbox or spam as
these invitations are sent by CodeSignal.
Applicants wishing to claim Veterans Preference should attach a
copy of their DD-214 (Member 4 copy), NGB 22, or signed
verification of service letter from the United States Department of
Veterans Affairs to their application. Please blackout any
personally identifiable data such as social security numbers. For
further information, please contact us at Jobs@Lni.wa.gov.
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Employer
Here at Labor and Industries our employees come from all walks
of life as do we. We strive to hire great people from a wide
variety of backgrounds. All qualified applicants will
receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color,
religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual
orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran
We believe in the importance of recognizing the value each of us
contribute to the success of the mission of the agency. Having a
diverse workforce is this agency's greatest resource of strength
and knowledge. It is through the combination of talents and
abilities that we can pursue finding effective measures on how we
can provide the best customer service. We are committed to
building a diverse and inclusive workplace for everyone and we
strongly mean everyone.
The State of Washington is an equal opportunity employer.
Persons with a disability who need assistance in the application
process or testing process, or those needing this announcement in
an alternative format, may call (360) 902-5700. TTY users should
first call 711 to access the Washington Relay Service.
You are welcome to include the name and pronoun you would like
to be referred to in your materials and we will honor this as you
interact with our award-winning diverse and inclusive
If you have any questions regarding this announcement, program,
or the agency please contact Andrea Ballard at
Keywords: State of Washington, Olympia , L&I IT Application Developer, Journey, Other , Olympia, Washington
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!