Application review is ongoing to fill multiple positions
The Office of Solution Design & Project Support (SDPS) is one of
five major offices within the Division of Health Technology
Solutions (HTS), consisting of a team of IT Business Liaisons, a
Project Management Office, and Business Services Section (BSS).
These positions are part of a team responsible for the
implementation and management of various systems and the data that
supports the Department of Health and statewide response to the
COVID-19 pandemic. The impact of these systems and the data
supported spans across the department, state, and federal
You will support the Department of Health's mission to Protect
and Improve the Health of all people in Washington State by:
- Ensuring business requirement elicitation, analysis, and
documentation standards are met. Ensures industry-standard
business analysis and testing methods are applied to systems to
instill confidence with our business customers that the systems
supported are of the highest level of accuracy and quality.
- Providing professional-level IT Business analysis and Quality
Assurance testing, technical knowledge, and consultation to IT
Business Analysts, IT Project Managers, Quality Assurance Testers,
Developers, System Configuration Administrators, and Database
- Serve as a contributing team member with stakeholders and
technical staff, tests, and validates software requirements to
support the agency's mission.
This recruitment will be used to fill multiple journey-level
project positions, currently funded through July 31, 2023. View the
full position description
Currently, this position may be located anywhere within the
State of Washington. Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, telework
(mobile-work) is expected. When approved to return, the incumbent
will work with their supervisor to identify an appropriate work
schedule and balance, including telework and reporting to the
Tumwater, WA duty station for work activities.
About the Department of Health
The vision of the Washington State Department of Health (DOH) is
equity and optional health for all. Our mission is to work with
others to protect and improve the health of all people in
Good organizations know what they do and how they do it. Great
organizations also understand why they do it. Our values are:
- Human-centered: We see others as people who matter like we do
and take into account their needs, challenges, contributions, and
- Equity: We are committed to fairness and justice to ensure
access to services, programs, opportunities, and information for
- Collaboration: We seek partnership and collaboration to
maximize our collective impact. We cannot achieve our vision
- Seven Generations: Inspired by Native American culture, we seek
wisdom from those who came before us to ensure our current work
protects those who will come after us.
- Excellence: We strive to demonstrate best practices, high
performance, and compelling value in our work every day.
Benefits of Working for DOH
Washington is America's Top State, according to? U.S. News
(2021), and provides one of the most competitive benefits packages
in the nation.
Tumwater is a vibrant city just south of Olympia, the state's
capital, with a small-town feel conveniently situated between
Seattle and Portland. Tumwater enjoys the benefits of an engaged
and educated community and a well-supported school system, with two
universities and a community college within a ten-mile radius.
We also offer:
- A healthy life/work balance by offering flexible schedules
and telework options for many positions.
- Growth and development opportunities.
- A wellness program that offers education, access to healthy
food, and fitness classes.
- Opportunities to serve your community through meaningful
- A commitment to diversity and inclusion fosters an inclusive
environment that encourages all employees to bring their authentic
selves to work.
- An Infant at Work Program based on the long-term health values
of breastfeeding newborns and infant-parent bonding.
- A modernized workplace.
- Serve as liaison between business stakeholders and technical
staff to ensure business needs are clearly defined, understood, and
documented using industry-standard requirements documentation
- Elicit, plan, analyze and develop business and/or technical
- Lead and/or facilitate the gathering of requirements through
interviews, workshops, consultations, site visits, surveys, and
business process workflows.
- Develop, review and implement test plans, test cases, test
reports, and testing schedules for software implementations and
maintain a test repository.
- Review, verify and validate the software meets technical
specifications and business/functional requirements.
- Coordinate with technology staff across functional disciplines
and business programs to develop and plan for the configuration,
implementation, and training for new releases and upgrades of
mission-critical information technology systems.
- Work collaboratively with other technical staff to ensure
changes, modifications, and/or maintenance and operation schedules
are followed, supported, and appropriately identified in standard
change management practices.
- Identify and report IT risks to management; analyze risks and
recommend mitigations and resolutions.
What we're looking for
Our ideal candidate has a driving passion for the work, brings
humility to their job and interactions, and understands how their
actions affect others. They see the needs and objectives of others
and take them into account while achieving their objectives, and
they adapt their approach and expectations accordingly. Our ideal
candidate is outward even when confronted with others that are not
open or collaborative. They demonstrate resilience to model outward
behaviors even when stressed or tired.
Option 1: A Bachelor's degree or higher in IT program or a
closely related fields such as Computer Science, Management
Information Systems, Information Technology Informatics; and four
(4) years of professional experience in one or more of the
following IT disciplines: business analysis, testing, or systems
Option 2: An Associate's degree or higher in Information
Technology program or a closely related fields such as Computer
Science, Management Information Systems, Information Technology or
Informatics; and six (6) years (full-time equivalent) of
professional experience in one or more of the following IT
disciplines: business analysis, testing, or systems development.
Option 3: Eight (8) years of professional experience in one or
more of the following IT disciplines: business analysis, testing,
or systems development. Of those eight years, the following must
- Four (4) years of experience as a business analyst.
- Two (2) years of professional experience as a Software Analyst,
Quality Assurance Tester, or Software Developer.
- Experience in software development processes eliciting user
requirements, analyzing and formally documenting business needs,
processes and workflows, and using defined formats for functional
use cases and business rules.
- Experience preparing documentation including internal technical
documents, system diagrams, use cases, test cases, and user
documentation and manuals.
- Experience in proficiently translating complex technical issues
into readily understood concepts for staff, management, and the
- Bachelor's degree in computer science or closely related fields
such as Business Administration, Mathematics, Engineering or
- Experience working with Agile, or other iterative development
methodology development methodologies.
- Two (2) years SQL Management Studio tools or equivalent.
- Two (2) years of Software Testing
- One (1) year of software training experience
- Professional Certifications in Business Analysis
- Experience with Lean practices
Intrigued? Click "Apply" to submit your detailed application
profile along with the following:
- A cover letter, describing how you meet the qualifications and
why you are interested in this position.
- A current resume.
- Three (3) or more professional references, to be included in
your profile. Please include at least one supervisor, peer, and (if
you have supervised staff) someone you have supervised or
Important Note: Do not attach documents that contain a
photo or private information (social security number, year of
birth, transcripts, etc.) or documents that are password protected.
These documents will not be reviewed and may cause errors within
your application when downloaded.
Applicants wishing to claim Veterans Preference should attach a
copy of their DD-214 (Member 4 copy), NGB 22, or signed
verification of service letter from the United States Department of
Veterans Affairs to their application. Please remove or cover any
personally identifiable data such as social security numbers and
year of birth.
The Washington State Department of Health (DOH)?is an equal
opportunity employer. DOH strives to create a working environment
that is inclusive and respectful. We prohibit discrimination based
on race, sex, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation,
gender identity, age, veteran status, political affiliation,
genetics, or disability.
This is a position covered by a bargaining unit for which the
Washington Federation of State Employees (WFSE) is the exclusive
Conditions of Employment/Working Conditions
With or without an accommodation, I am willing and able
- Legally operate a state or privately owned vehicle or provide
- Occasionally work more than 40 hours per week or adjust
typically scheduled hours, which may include evenings and
- Occasionally travel within and outside of Washington State to
meet business needs.
If you have questions, need alternative formats or other
assistance, please contact Zach Covington at (360) 236-2406,
Zach.Covington@doh.wa.gov, or TDD Relay at 1-800-833-6384 or 711
(Washington Relay). Technical support is provided by neogov,
855-524-5627 (can't log in, password or email issues, error
SUBSCRIBE to DOH Job Alerts
This recruitment may be used to fill other positions of the same
job classification across the agency. Once all the position(s)
from the recruitment are filled, the recruitment may only be used
to fill additional open positions for the next sixty (60)
Only applicants who follow the directions and complete the
Application Process in-full will have their responses reviewed for
Education and experience selected, listed and/or detailed in the
Supplemental Questions must be verifiable on the detailed applicant