Lead Principal Software Engineer
Company: State of Washington
Posted on: June 8, 2021
Screening will begin immediately and this recruitment is open
The Legislative Service Center, also known as LEG-TECH
(pronounced 'LEDGE-TECK') is the non-partisan technology solutions
provider for the Washington State Legislature. We are a team of
highly competent technology professionals committed to consistently
meeting or exceeding customer and team expectations with innovative
products and services. Our team is passionate about technology and
aims to provide a world-class IT customer service experience.
Whether it takes the form of back-end infrastructure services,
hardware and software troubleshooting, application development,
supporting our hybrid cloud / on-premise environment, direct
front-line customer support, help desk or training, we support a
LEG-TECH is seeking a motivated, talented, innovative, and
highly experienced full-stack software engineer to lead our agile
software team in delivering and supporting the Legislature's suite
of mission critical, custom-developed applications. In the
Lead principal role, you will work with our development team to
ensure that we are delivering high quality customer-centric,
leading-edge technology solutions that span the business processes
of the legislative agencies. You will provide direction and
lead the team in successfully adopting new technologies and
maturing software development practices.
At LEG-TECH, we embrace a culture that encourages innovation,
accountability, collaboration, and a growth mindset. We encourage
all team members to be forward-looking technical leaders in all
facets of software engineering including architecture, technology
frameworks, usability, testing and DevOps.
LEG-TECH offers competitive salaries, a comprehensive benefits
package, flexible work schedules, and colleagues who truly enjoy
what they do. Currently, LEG-TECH is working 100% remotely.
To find out more about LEG-TECH please visit our website.Some of
the Things You Will Enjoy Doing in this Role
- Leveraging your skills and talents to influence and lead
initiatives that innovate the applications and shared services that
enable our customers to do the work of the Legislature and give the
public the information they need to interact with the
- Leading the agency's team of dedicated software engineering
professionals who care about their work and exceeding customer
- Working with Agile Scrum teams to design and develop
innovative, intuitive, well-tested solutions critical to the
success of the legislative agencies.
- Learning about business processes and portfolio of
applications as we partner with each other to ensure technical
excellence in our practices, define our reference architectures,
and build out our application technology roadmap.
- Taking on leadership opportunities across all phases of the
SDLC as we advance our practices, patterns, tools, and
technologies, whether it be planning, story development,
architecture, design, frameworks, DevOps, or testing.
- Working in collaboration with our infrastructure team partners
from architecture and design through deployment and support to
deliver solid technical solutions for our legislative partners
throughout the agency.
- Applying your creativity, solid communication skills,
collaborative approach and customer-focused perspective while
interacting with team members and a diverse set of customers in
everything from UX design to story development to participating in
agile rituals and application design conversations.
- Using your technical experience, curiosity, and
critical-thinking skills to work with the team to analyze,
troubleshoot and resolve production issues.
- Working in an environment where customer and team satisfaction
is a priority. You will be an expert and collaborative
consultant trusted to deliver secure, responsive, reliable, and
intuitive systems to our customers.
- You will be an excellent team member contributing to a pleasant
and healthy work environment and culture where we value respect,
accountability, integrity, and transparency.
- You will be expected to participate in assessing team
satisfaction, provide feedback, and offer solutions for continuous
improvement of the work environment.
Our Ideal Candidate
- You are enthusiastic and excited about technology, and willing
to roll up your sleeves and get your hands dirty with the rest of
- You are customer-driven and genuinely interested in
understanding our customers' business domains and
problems/opportunities. You have a passion for delivering quality
products that deliver business value to our customers.
- You are fluent in many of the languages of web app development
SQL, JSON, HTML, CSS, and client-side app development such as
React, Blazor and JQuery.
- You are always on the lookout for learning about new languages,
tools, and practices to improve your own craft and to share with
- You understand the value of and have practical experience in
agile methodologies (Scrum, Kanban), planning and estimating,
test-driven development, refactoring, unit testing, integration
testing, defect management, behavior-driven development, and
- You have proven experience delivering solid, well-tested
object-oriented code and proven experience designing and
implementing patterns to address scalability, performance,
security, usability, maintainability, and other relevant
- You understand and can implement layered systems, web, and
service architectures. You can design solid RESTful APIs and
understand the boundaries between system components.
- You are flexible, dependable, and accountable, and know how to
have fun while getting a lot done.
- You work well with others and treat them with respect. You use
your knowledge and experience to help others succeed and improve
our overall outcomes.
- You're adept at finding opportunities and willing to take on
new duties and tasks for the success of the team.
- You are a strong communicator, capable of professional written
and verbal communication.
- You fluently translate between the languages of business and
technology and proactively and appropriately convey the level of
communication necessary to report issues and impacts.
- 10 + years as a full-stack, object-oriented developer with
progressive, hands-on professional experience implementing,
documenting, and deploying modern web solutions.
- Bachelor's degree in computer science or allied field.
Equivalent experience may substitute, year for year, for the
Proven and/or deep experience in the following:
- Developing and deploying web applications in the Microsoft
environment and technology stack, including .Net, .Net Core, and
other iterations of typical Microsoft application development
- Designing systems that use transactional databases like
- Testing approaches and frameworks for the full web application
- Automated testing
- Cloud application delivery and service integration experience,
especially with Azure services.
- UI/UX design tools and practices - understanding of
accessibility design and implementation.
- Understanding of DevOps/CI/CD and experience building out
This position may require long hours or weekend work during the
legislative session, special session, and/or pre-session
preparations.Interested persons should submit the following:
- A letter of interest describing applicable qualifications and
- A rsum detailing the name(s) of employer(s), length of
employment, position titles and scope of responsibilities.
- Answers to the following questions:
- Describe your ability to perform in a fast-paced,
results-oriented environment. How do you set priorities, use
resources, and follow up on commitments?
- What is the most important aspect or characteristic you would
bring to this position? Describe why you believe this is essential
to the position.
- Describe your most challenging professional experience. Explain
why and what was done to successfully meet the challenge.
Submit paperwork to:
Legislative Service Center (LEG-TECH)
106 11th Ave. SW, Suite 2400
Olympia, WA 98501
Attn: Personnel or e-mail to:
Screening will begin immediately and this recruitment is open
until filled. Initial screening will be based solely on the
information provided by the candidate.
Interviews will be granted to candidates most closely matching
the hiring criteria.
LEG-TECH is an equal opportunity employer.
Keywords: State of Washington, Olympia , Lead Principal Software Engineer, Other , Olympia, Washington
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!