The Washington Health Benefit Exchange is a public-private
partnership that operates the WAPlanfinder mobile app and
Washington Healthplanfinder, the eligibility and enrollment portal
used by one in four Washington residents to obtain health and
dental coverage. Through Washington Healthplanfinder, individuals
and families can compare and enroll in health insurance coverage
and gain access to financial help and public programs like
Washington Apple Health.
The mission of the Exchange, a state-based marketplace, is to
radically improve how Washington residents secure health insurance
through innovative and practical solutions, an easy-to-use customer
experience, our values of integrity, respect, equity and
transparency, and by providing undeniable value to the health care
The Exchange is also committed to identify and reach groups at
risk for obstacles to access coverage, which includes supporting
those who need assistance overcoming barriers to seek, find, and
use their health insurance coverage. Specifically, the Exchange is
embracing the following equity statement:
Equity is a fundamental pillar to the society we seek to build.
The process of advancing toward equity will be disruptive and
demands vigilance, dismantling deeply entrenched systems of
privilege and oppression. We must focus our efforts on people and
places where needs are greatest, especially communities of color,
and go beyond remedying a particular inequity to address all
determinants of health.
Our goal is that all Washingtonians have full and equal access
to opportunities, power and resources to achieve their full
The Senior Cloud Application Developer position is responsible
for the underlying architecture, design, development, unit testing,
and implementation of the application systems used within
Washington Health Benefits Exchange. The Senior Cloud Application
Developer operates within the Development Team in IT and is
responsible to research and utilize cloud technologies and services
to develop and modernize Washington Healthplanfinder and related
back-office applications for the Exchange.
The incumbent in this position is expected to collaborate and
work closely with stakeholders across IT, other Departments, and
our System Integration (SI) partners on development projects. The
Senior Cloud Application Developer supports the management and
maintenance of two or more applications or functions in a complex
system. The Senior Cloud Application Developer works independently
and with the team on problem resolution of complex system issues.
The Senior Cloud Application Developer may be asked to oversee the
overall technical aspect of a major development effort on a
The Senior Cloud Application Developer is responsible for
overseeing the work being done by other developers working on a
team. A Senior Cloud Application Developer will act as a mentor and
team lead for new or lower-level developers, interns, and other
technical members on the scrum team.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Application Design, Development, and Support Lead effort to
design, develop, and delivery modern cloud-based application
solutions to meet the mission and objective of HBE.
- Perform complex assignments as required by the team on projects
using appropriate cloud-based tools and technologies.
- Research and recommend appropriate modern cloud technology and
tools to accomplish the development effort or lead such
- Provide tasks estimates and report progress status of project
- Translate complex functional, technical, and business
requirements into software designs.
- Determine feasibility of projects, with respect to time and
cost, and define the technical aspects of requirements for new
software or application enhancements.
- Lead or participate in the process of documenting technical
design specifications and workflows.
- Lead or participate in the development of complex development
- Plan and coordinate reviews and approval of technical
- Lead analysis, troubleshooting, and resolution of complex
- Perform complex analysis of data and monitors the ongoing
performance of developed systems.
- Ensure solutions developed meets quality standards as expected
by our internal and external partners.
- Work with Test team on TDD/BDD and ensure quality in the
delivery and release of solution.
- Work with Security team and ensure code is scanned and
remediated of security vulnerabilities.
- Remains current on development best practices, emerging cloud
technologies, and practices
- Provide technical consultation and oversight on complex
- Lead and review the design, development, and implementation of
junior developers on the team.
- Enforce and implement secure coding practices based on
Industry, OWASP and federal guidelines.
- Conduct code reviews within the development team.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Policy, Standards, Procedure, and Process Adherence and
- Ensure IT and Security policies, standards and best practices
are adopted and followed.
- Ensure development efforts align with IT strategic
- Ensure development efforts adhere to architectural direction
set by Enterprise Solutions Committee and Enterprise Architecture
- Support and assist Enterprise Solutions Committee and other
Enterprise Architects to improve technical standards and
- Participate in development and documentation of new processes
to address complex business needs.
- Continuously seek opportunities to mature our Agile and
- Other duties as assigned.
- Trusted Partner and Customer Support consult and advise others
inside and outside of Development team.
- Experience managing customers and stakeholder expectation
- Meeting deliverable dates and sprint targets.
- Engaging in independent decision-making.
- Leading work group discussions as required.
- Foster a greater understanding among internal and external
stakeholders and provide technical consulting.
- Work in consultation with Business and IT units including
Operations, Call Center, Network, Operations, Infrastructure, and
other Application Support units to determine the overall enterprise
design, structure, interface, and performance, etc. of supported
- Assist team members inside and outside IT with technical
questions and in making informed decisions
- Work across IT functions and organizations (e.g. Network and
Infrastructure, Security, Operations, Finance, other partner
Agencies, etc) to resolve system issues
- Provide authoritative technical expertise to identify and
translate system requirements into technical solutions for
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelors degree in computer science or at least 8 years of
related work experience. Education and experience may substitute on
a year for year basis.
- Five or more years of experience in design, development,
testing and implementation of IT projects or related
- Experience developing enterprise class, highly secure, and
object-oriented web-based application system.
- Experience building cloud-native applications that are
optimized for cloud scale and performance.
- Experience with microservice architecture and orchestration
(preferably MS Azure platform, Dockers, Containers, AKS, ARO,
- Experience with integration technologies Restful services, SFT,
SFTP, EDI, etc
- Experience with programming technologies .NET Core, XML/JSON,
Entity Framework, React.js, Angular, CSS, etc.
- Experience with Agile development methodologies such as SCRUM
- Experience with DevOps, DevSecOps, and CI/CD best practices and
- Ability to clearly communicate concepts and ideas to a variety
of audiences through both verbally and in writing.
- Demonstrated ability to understand every aspect of a technical
- Ability to work in a demanding fast paced environment with
- Ability to work in a collaborative and team environment.
- Masters degree in Computer Science
- Experienced with Test Driven Development (TDD)
- Familiarity with Business-Driven Development (BDD)
- Azure PaaS experience Azure portal, Azure services, Azure
RedHat Openshift, SQL and NoSQL data services, etc
- GitHub/GitHub Action experience
- Experience or familiarity with Java development
- Previous applicable experience in health care enrollment and/or
human services management environment.
This position will be open until we find a suitable number of
candidates to review. If interested, please submit an application
as soon as possible. The Exchange reserves the right to close the
recruitment at any time.
The posted salary is the new hire range of consideration. Full
salary range is from $87,905 - $127,468. Offer will depend on
Core business hours are 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Monday through
Friday. Travel requirements will be limited to local travel,
however there may be occasions were an employee is required to
travel and work irregular hours to attend meetings or trainings.
Duties of this position require the use of standard office
furniture and equipment (e.g. desk, filing cabinet, computer,
printer, telephone, fax machine, copy machine, etc.).
The working conditions and physical demands are representative
of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform
the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may
be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the
A criminal background screen will be conducted for candidates
under final consideration, and if hired, every five years of
employment where highly sensitive data is processed or maintained
by the position. The result of this background screen must meet the
Exchanges eligibility standards.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature
and levels of work being performed. They are not intended to be
construed as an exhaustive list of responsibilities, duties and
skills of personnel so classified.
This is not an employment agreement or contract. Management has
the exclusive right to alter this job description at any time
The Washington Health Benefit Exchange is an Equal Opportunity
Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for
employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, marital
status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin,
disability or protected veteran status.
We participate in E-Verify. You can view the Department of
Justice's Right to Work poster here.