Our Mission: Keep Washington Safe and Working! Our Values:
Customer Focus, One L&I, Respect, Diversity, Equity and
Inclusion, Learning and Growth, Reliability.
This position will now be open until filled, with a first review
date on June 3, 2021. The hiring manager reserves the right to
close the recruitment and make a hiring decision at any point. It
is in the candidate's best interest to apply early.
Washington is America's Top State according to U.S. News (2019)
and we provide one of the most competitive benefits packages in the
nation. Here at the Department of Labor & Industries
(L&I), we believe that your voice matters. We value our
employees and offer flexible schedules that respect your work/life
balance. In addition, L&I is a diverse state agency
dedicated to the safety and health and security of Washington's 3
million workers. Learn more about L&I, the employer of
The Safety Compliance Supervisor is responsible for the
administration, planning, management, training, integrity and
quality of the Regional safety compliance program/staff who inspect
workplaces to ensure compliance with the safety and health
standards and in so doing help protect the health and safety of
To learn more about L&I, please visit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8U0Js4sXZA ;
- Assign fatalities, catastrophes and complaints and referrals
promptly including during non-working hours for the department
staff, and select investigation team members.
- Develop/approve preliminary work plans, assist in determining
direct and indirect cause(s), and conduct reviews and meeting in
adherence with established policies and procedures.
- Sets expectations/goals for staff and hold them
- Plans for future workload issues by analyzing information/data
and applying it to budgeting and fiscal operations.
- Responds to and resolves staff complaints. Conducts accompanied
visits with staff 1-2times per year.
- Performs a minimum of one spot-check for each inspector per
- Perform annual evaluations and develops training plans for
staff. Ensures that staff receive the required training needed for
- Directs the investigation of accident investigations to
discover causes, and the investigation of employee complaints about
safety and health conditions in workplaces.
- Trains inspectors to use a variety of inspection tools,
equipment and measuring devices and must demonstrate expertise in
the use of these devices.
- Ensures that performance criteria are established and met by
regional staff and that staff work is consistent and uniform with
established policy and procedures.
- Respond to and resolve complaints from staff or union
- Develop training plans, train staff, and ensure staff receives
required health and safety training within budget constraints.
- Reviews citations prepared by inspectors, reviews proposed
monetary penalties, and with the inspector, reviews and if
necessary, corrects technical reports documenting employee exposure
to safety and health hazards that are violations of DOSH
- Assists in the review and evaluation of employer's written
- Assists inspectors to visually inspect worksites to discover
safety and health hazards and offers advice on abatement
- Lead coordinated inspections with industrial hygienists and
joint inspections with other safety inspectors on complex
inspections, complex and multi-employer inspections and other types
of compliance inspections.
- Assists in defending those citations at appeal hearings, both
informal and formal.
- Assigns inspections to inspectors to ensure abatement of
hazards by follow-up inspections or alternate means.
- Will review and correct reports using a computer, receive and
send e-mail and make work assignments.
- Supervisory or lead experience in a regulatory compliance
- Four years as a Labor and Industries Safety and Health
Specialist or Industrial Hygienist.
- A Bachelor's degree and four years of experience as a safety
and health officer, consultant, inspector, or related
Required Abilities, Knowledge, and Skills:
- Use personal computers, including hardware such as keyboards
and software such as work processing and other programs, to produce
timely and accurate work products that fully satisfy the demands of
- Enforce governmental laws, rules and regulations, and initiates
enforcement actions in such a way that the public perceives as
fair, objective and reasonable.
- Effectively organizes multiple assignments, sometimes of a
complex nature or involving competing priorities, to produce work
products that are accurate, thorough and on time.
- Actively partners with co-workers to provide them with
information, techniques, instruction, feedback and encouragement to
maximize their success on the job.
- Earn the trust, respect and confidence of coworkers and
customers through consistent honesty, forthrightness and
professionalism in all interactions.
- Focus on results and desired outcomes and how best to achieve
them. Identifies what needs to be done and proactively takes
appropriate action. Gets the job done.
- The ability to interview, hire, assign and direct work,
evaluate, and discipline one or more employees. Set expectations,
instruct, coach and identify training needs.
- Skilled at providing customer service: Listen attentively,
identify issues, provide options, fulfill services, and/or exercise
knowledge of laws and regulations to assist others and/or resolve
complaints or conflicts.
- Set and adhere to priorities; meeting productivity standards,
deadlines and work schedules; pursuing efficiency and economy in
the use of resources; being responsive and timely to e-mails, phone
messages, and mail; efficient use of work time, equipment, and
- Possess of a thorough understanding of both WISHA (Washington
Industrial Safety and Health Administration) and OSHA (federal
government's Occupational Safety and Health Administration) rules
- Understand and is able to explain to customers what their
businesses must do to comply with these regulations.
- The position is bilingual preferred.
- If candidate is bilingual, and successfully completes HR
bilingual testing, the candidate will communicate with internal and
external customers in both English and their bilingual
The top candidates will be contacted directly to interview for
this position. Because the selection will be based on information
provided by you, it is in your best interest to identify the
knowledge, skills and abilities that address the mandatory and
desirable qualifications described in the announcement.
Please include the following documents with your
1. A letter of interest describing specific
2. A current resume detailing applicable experience and
3. A list of at least three professional references with
current telephone numbers.
- Prior to any new hire into L&I, a background check,
including criminal record history, will be conducted.
- Employees driving on state business shall have a valid driver's
license. If driving a privately owned vehicle on state
business, must be insured.
- Candidates who are offered a job with L&I must possess work
authorization which does not require sponsorship by the employer
for a visa now or in the future.
Applicants wishing to claim Veterans Preference should attach a
copy of their DD-214 (Member 4 copy), NGB 22, or signed
verification of service letter from the United States Department of
Veterans Affairs to their application. Please blackout any
personally identifiable data such as social security numbers. For
further information please contact us at: Jobs@Lni.wa.gov
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Employer
Here at Labor and Industries our employees come from all walks
of life as do we. We strive to hire great people from a wide
variety of backgrounds. All qualified applicants will
receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color,
religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual
orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran
We believe in the importance of recognizing the value each of us
contribute to the success of the mission of the agency. Having a
diverse workforce is this agency's greatest resource of strength
and knowledge. It is through the combination of talents and
abilities that we can pursue finding effective measures on how we
can provide the best customer service. We are committed to
building a diverse and inclusive workplace for everyone and we
strongly mean everyone.
The State of Washington is an equal opportunity employer.
Persons with a disability who need assistance in the application
process or testing process, or those needing this announcement in
an alternative format, may call (360) 902-5700. TTY users should
first call 711 to access the Washington Relay Service.
You are welcome to include the name and pronoun you would like
to be referred to in your materials and we will honor this as you
interact with our award-winning diverse and inclusive organization.
This position may be used to fill multiple positions.
Please Note: The assigned duty station for this position is
Union Gap, Washington. Travel is required however; you can discuss
your workstation with the hiring manager, as there may be some
flexibility. Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, some employees
have been authorized to telework (work-from-home). This position
may be able to work remotely from any location in the state of
Washington until the order is lifted, at which time this position
may be required to return to the permanent duty station.
If you have any questions regarding this announcement,
program, or the agency please contact Georgina Holland at