DCYF Business Intelligence (BI)/Integration Developer
Company: State of Washington
Posted on: June 12, 2021
The Department of Children, Youth, and Families (DCYF) was
created to be a comprehensive agency exclusively dedicated to the
social, emotional, and physical well-being of children, youth, and
families regardless of race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, or
other socioeconomic factors. We believe our workforce should
reflect the communities we serve and are actively searching for
candidates that reflect that diversity.
We're looking for an experienced Business Intelligence
(BI)/Integrations Developer to design, develop, and maintain
mission-critical databases, data interfaces, and BI reporting
systems. These systems carry highly sensitive information and have
a direct impact on the work that is performed by business
units. These business units are all working toward the common goal
of eliminating child and youth outcome disparities based on race
and ethnicity and transforming lives by protecting vulnerable
children and promoting healthier families. Our vision is that
"All Washington's children and youth grow up safe and
healthy-thriving physically, emotionally, and educationally,
nurtured by family and community."
Do you have experience with BI/report development? Does
maintaining mission-critical databases, interfaces, and reporting
solutions sound exhilarating? If so, consider this incredible
BI/Integrations Developer position. This journey-level position
uses in-depth and advanced knowledge of databases needed to
maintain operations, participate in development projects, migration
projects, and perform problem resolution activities involving the
most complex technical issues.
This position ensures the confidentiality, availability,
integrity, and quality of data in DCYF's mission-critical database
systems. Another key objective of this position is to serve as the
Data Custodian for DCYF data, exercising significant influence over
data quality processes, procedures, and data governance. Not only
will you get to work on a fantastic team in a flexible work
environment, but you can also feel good knowing that your work
contributes to positive outcomes for the children, youth, and
families of Washington State.
We are currently teleworking due to the Stay Home, Stay Healthy
order. This position has the potential to continue teleworking once
it is lifted but will be required to attend some be meetings and
Some of what you will get to do:
- Ensures the confidentiality, availability, integrity, and
quality of DCYF interfaces and data systems.
- Working with application developers and DevOps to ensure
regular, controlled deployment of updates to existing
database-driven applications across various platforms including but
not limited to the development, QA, and production environments
including cloud-based resources.
- Performs design, development, quality assurance, verification,
testing, performance profiling, optimization, migration, and
maintenance tasks for mission-critical database, business
intelligence, API, data integrations, SSIS packages, ETL processes,
and reporting solutions.
- Creates -ad-hoc queries in response to data requests and public
disclosure requests for data stored within attendance systems and
other sources-related sources.
- Perform data translation, transformation, and data cleansing
procedures to prepare customer legacy data for smooth and
successful import into Sherpa.
- Assist in the preparation of data migration plans including
migration risks and project milestones, and communicate to the
Project Manager for client sign-off.
- Perform quality assurance review, data migration audit,
reconciliation, and exception reporting for each customer.
- Creates and maintains data models and data dictionaries.
- Coaches and mentors other development staff on best practices
- Meets regularly with the project team and project partners to
perform requirements gathering, iterations, best practices, design,
deployment, and on-going enhancements.
- Work collaboratively with subject matter experts and project
team to define, organize, document, and communicate the data
- Participates in iterative quality improvement activities like
code reviews and post-implementation reviews.
- Serve as data custodian for the attendance data system.
- Serve as the business data and process expert
- Ensure access to the data is authorized and controlled
- Ensure safe and secure transmission of data
- Develop and maintain business metadata (information about the
data such as field definitions, business rules, and appropriate
- Ensure technical processes are in place to sustain data
- Determine data maintenance requirements (e.g. update frequency,
retention schedules, data category classifications)
- Ensure change management practices are applied in the
maintenance of the database
- Resolve data quality issues which may include cross-system
- Assist in determining enterprise data distribution and
reporting requirements and priorities
- Provide technical design, implementation, and monitoring of
- Adhere to technical processes and controls to safeguard data
and sustain data integrity
- Define, capture, and maintain technical metadata
- Ensure change management practices are applied in the
maintenance of the databases
- Provide mechanisms to audit the history of data content
- Bring data issues forward to the Data Governance Committee
A Bachelor's degree or higher in computer science, data
management, information systems or closely related field, or
five years of progressively more complex problem-solving
experience as a Database Administrator or
Business Intelligence / Report Developer for large-scale
databases with mission-critical business functions.
Four years of progressively more complex problem-solving
experience as a Database Administrator, Business Intelligence
Developer, ETL Developer or Report Developer for large-scale
databases with mission-critical business functions in a web-based
systems architecture, service-based architecture or enterprise
application architecture and using Web Service APl's, C#, ASP.NET,
- Expert knowledge of Bl and report development techniques for
Microsoft SOL Server.
- Working knowledge of DevOps principles and techniques as they
apply to data and databases.
- Working knowledge of Agile principles and values as they apply
to software development.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Experience working in a highly regulated environment where IT
assets and data are subject to a broad range of state and federal
information security requirements and regulations.
- Expert knowledge of Microsoft's implementation of SQL,
specifically Transact-SOL, SSRS, SSIS, and SSAS.
- Expert knowledge of Reporting and Bl database management
concepts, principles, and methods including database logical and
physical design and normalization.
- Expert knowledge of data standardization policies and
- Expert skill in applying data modeling methodologies to the
creation and maintenance of large, complex, mission-critical
database reporting and Bl systems.
- Understand and apply design patterns, application architecture,
and data modeling concepts.
- Working knowledge of sources, characteristics, and uses of the
organization's data assets.
- Working knowledge of the vast array of relationships between
data entities that represent the DCYF business domain.
- Expert knowledge of Data warehousing principles and best
- Expert knowledge of ETL techniques and best practices.
- Advanced knowledge of object-oriented software design, unit
testing, and Agile development process.
- Ability to provide performance tuning analysis for development
- Ability to examine complex systems to grasp issues, draw
conclusions, and solve problems.
- Ability to adapt to continually changing business needs.
- Ability to assess and iteratively improve products, processes,
- Keeps up on the changes and improvements to operating systems,
databases, and technical tools.
- Able to build and maintain customer satisfaction with the
products and services offered by the organization.
- Ability to maintain the confidentiality of information accessed
or discussed in performing the work of this position.
- Ability to convey professionalism, cultural competency and
interact effectively with individuals, groups, peers, supervisors,
managers, vendors, and customers in individual and group
- Ability to earn trust and respect through consistent honest and
professional interactions in working relationships with
- Working knowledge of security concepts, principles, and
- Experience translating data models or logical database designs
into a physical database implementation and managing that database
- Experience design databases defensively, so that only accurate
and appropriate data is entered and maintained.
- Ability to conduct requirements definition sessions with
program staff in order to understand their business/data
- Ability to work individually and within a team.
In addition to those requirements, our ideal applicant will also
have some or all of the following:
SQL certification or knowledge of SQL Server TSOL
- Experience with Apex, Visualforce, Workflows, and other
customization options within the Force.com platform
- Experience with Salesforce Real Time integration using SOAP and
REST based web services experience
- Development and integration experience in DynamicsAX and/or
Salesforce.com CRM technologies
- Agile Training or Certification
- Salesforce Administrator and/or Platform App Builder/Developer/
- Experience in requirements elicitation, documentation, and
other business analysis tasks and methodologies.
How do I apply?
Complete your applicant profile and attach the following
- Letter of interest describing how you meet the specific
qualifications for this position
- Current resume detailing experience and
To take advantage of Veteran's preference please attach your
DD-214, member 4 long-form, or your NGB-22. Please black out
your social security number prior to attaching.
Prior to a new hire, a background check including criminal
history will be conducted. Information from the background check
will not necessarily preclude employment but will be considered in
determining the applicant's suitability and competence to perform
in the position.
This position is covered by a collective bargaining
The initial screening will be based on the content and
completeness of your application and the materials submitted. All
information may be verified and documentation may be required.
Applications with comments such as "see attachments" or "N/A" in
the supplemental question responses will be considered
DCYF is an equal opportunity employer and supports equity,
diversity, inclusion and respect.
Need accommodation throughout the application/interview process?
Unable to apply on-line? Contact the Recruitment team
at firstname.lastname@example.org or (360) 628-0114 or the
Telecommunications Device for the Deaf at 800-833-6388
Experiencing technical difficulties creating, accessing or
completing your application? Call NEOGOV toll-free at (855)524-5627
or email email@example.com.
General suggestions for creating a good application
- Read the job posting very carefully. Find out as much as you
can about the position.
- Make sure you are very diligent in following all the
application instructions. Include all requested
- Make sure your application and supplemental question responses
address how you meet each of the required and desired
- Carefully read each of the supplemental questions and respond
completely to each one. Pay careful attention to each
component of the question, providing examples, and thoroughly
describing when and where you achieved the proficiency level, and
detail the types of work you performed, the work products, etc., to
- Specifically include all of your work experiences doing the
same or similar work, especially if you reference work in these
jobs in describing when/where you gained proficiency level
- Make sure your application reflects your best writing.
01153 #developer #database #businessintelligence #itjobs
Keywords: State of Washington, Olympia , DCYF Business Intelligence (BI)/Integration Developer, Other , Olympia, Washington
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!