Washington State Department of Transportation (WSDOT) is the
steward of an integrated, multimodal transportation system that
helps to ensure people and goods move safely and efficiently
throughout the state. In addition to building, maintaining, and
operating the state highway system, WSDOT operates the largest
ferry system in the nation, manages the world's longest floating
bridge, and recently completed the world's widest tunneling
WSDOT's Geographic Information Systems (GIS) and Roadway Data
Branch is currently seeking a motivational, creative, and tenacious
GIS professional to lead the GIS Services Section. The geospatial
services, analyses, solutions, and products delivered under this
position are used by WSDOT employees and other federal and local
governments in the pursuit of the agency's mission to manage and
monitor roadway safety and operations, and to plan and implement
cost effective transportation options that improve livable
communities and economic vitality for people and businesses. This
position provides leadership, consultation, and GIS specialist
services for major organization-wide, high risk/impact, and mission
critical GIS projects and operations.
What to Expect
This position serves as a unique specialist and leader for
assessing how WSDOT's ESRI-based GIS technologies can meet a wide
variety of needs from across the agency. The incumbent
functions as a key technical expert and a recognized GIS resource
to provide guidance and services relating to spatial data,
cartography, interactive map services stewardship, spatial
analysis, business analysis, training, and evaluation of GIS
technical solutions. With oversight of the agency ArcGIS Online
site, GIS training program and GIS help desk, this position
involves a wide scope of responsibilities and skills that enable
the incumbent to identify and implement practical solutions and
also scope requirements for more complex solution configurations or
custom application development. This position is a key player
for leading agency GIS user's transitions, configuring web
services, and establishing new standard procedures as WSDOT
migrates GIS solutions from desktop to web-based platforms.
Among the varied range of responsibilities held within this
role, the Enterprise GIS Technology Services Supervisor will:
- Effectively supervise and direct a team of professional IT GIS
technology and training specialists to deliver GIS help desk, web
GIS system administration and GIS technology training services to
staff agency wide.
- Establish procedures, standards, and best practices for GIS
Service delivery to the internal and external end users of this
- Apply specialized professional knowledge and expertise
regarding GIS application software, data management and geospatial
analysis to assess customer's business requirements and devise
customized procedural, technical and strategic recommendations to
meet those needs.
- Work with application developers to develop highly useable
geospatial user interface components.
- Participates in agency senior level GIS technology committee
discussions to plan for increasing use of web-based GIS technology
and transitioning the agency from desktops to a web/cloud-based
enterprise GIS technology.
To be considered for this opportunity, the following are
- Bachelor of Science degree in business intelligence, computer
science, information/data science, a natural science, engineering,
or related fields or four (4) years of progressively
responsible, professional level relevant work
- Seven (7) years of increasingly responsible professional level
work applying ESRI's geospatial technologies to meet business
needs, troubleshoot and research technical GIS problems, and teach
others about the GIS concepts and principles needed to apply GIS
- Four (4) years professional experience working with ESRI's
ArcServer and web/cloud SaaS product technologies to develop,
manage and publish web services.
- Nine (9) semester hours of GIS coursework.
- Technical writing and presentation skills.
- Demonstrated experience maintaining positive relationships with
customers and coworkers.
It is preferred that qualified candidates also have:
- Professional business analysis experience.
- Experience with project management methodology.
- Experience supervising a technical team.
- Professional Certificate on Geographic Information Systems
- Professional Certification in Business Analysis (CBAP)
- Working Knowledge of WSDOT's Linear Referencing System
- Experience with relational database systems.
- Working knowledge of GPS and mobile device data collection
- This position is a designated member of the WSDOT Incident
Management Team (IMT). This includes having to respond with little
or no notice to a disaster or major incident.
- Work-Life Balance - We offer flexible work schedules that allow
you time for your life outside of this excellent
- Paid Leave - In addition to 10 paid holidays, full-time
employees earn a minimum 14 paid vacation days per year!
- Tuition Assistance - Permanent employees have several options
for assistance with education expenses, including tuition
reimbursement programs, government discounts at participating
colleges throughout the state, and eligibility for federal student
- Plan For Your Future - WSDOT offers a comprehensive
benefits package that includes a variety of healthcare options.
Employees also have their choice of state retirement programs, and
much more. Go to State Benefits for more information.
Check out this video to learn more: Why WSDOT?
How to Apply
Applications for this recruitment will be accepted
electronically. Your relevant experience may be evaluated to
determine salary. Therefore, it is very important that the "Work
Experience" portion of the application be completed in as much
detail as possible.
In order to be considered for this opportunity, please include
the following with your online application:
- An attached Resume outlining (in reverse chronological order)
your experience to date.
- An attached Cover Letter that further explains your
qualifications and indicates why you believe you are a viable
candidate for this role.
- Contact details for a minimum three (3) individuals who can
attest to your work performance, technical skills, and job-related
competencies. This information can be entered in the "References"
section of the online application; does not require an additional
Please click the "APPLY" button to proceed. Note that you will
be prompted to either sign in or create an account. This step is
required in order to submit an application to this opportunity.
WSDOT is an equal opportunity employer. We value the importance
of creating an environment in which all employees can feel
respected, included and empowered to bring unique ideas to the
agency. Our diversity and inclusion efforts include embracing
different cultures, backgrounds and viewpoints while fostering
growth and advancement in the workplace. Women, racial and ethnic
minorities, persons of disability, persons over 40 years of age,
disabled and Vietnam era veterans, as well as people of all sexual
orientations and gender identities are encouraged to apply. Persons
with disabilities needing assistance in the application process, or
those needing this job announcement in an alternative format
may contact the listed Recruiter.
WSDOT does not use the E-Verify system. For more information,
please visit www.uscis.gov
For inquiries about this posting, you may contact the assigned
Recruiter, Amanda Strebeck, at email@example.com . Please be
sure to reference Enterprise GIS Technology Services Supervisor in
the subject line.